s i x t e e n

"did i make a mistake by leaving him?"

can i be honest with you, linda?

"yeah, go ahead doc."

i think you left too soon.

"okay now i'm feeling a million times more guilty."

i'm not speaking to you as a doctor but as a friend. as both your friend and heath's.

"i was being so selfish. i didn't realize that i was hurting him because oh god, i was hurting too."

you were both hurting for different reasons. it's not your fault. everyone gets hurt by someone they love at least once in their life. it's not love if you've never been hurt at all. and sometimes it's okay to be selfish - you deserve your own time too but at the same time, you also have to consider how the other person is feeling.

"i just feel so stupid after what i've done. heath called me a few days ago, doc. and i wanted nothing more than to hold him and tell him that everything's going to be okay."

maybe you should consider coming back. but if you're not ready then you don't have to. this isn't just about heath, it's about you too.

"i really do want to come back."

i feel like there's still something you want to add to that...

"yeah, i mean i love heath. so much, like i've never loved anyone more than i love him."

but?

"but i don't think i can help him. like what i'm doing isn't enough or it just isn't getting to him. and i know you keep saying that i'm helping but i'm just not believing it."

you're helping him by being there and that's all you can do. the rest is up to him.

"what if he doesn't want to get better?"

i think he does. he just doesn't know where to start or what to fix.

"is he doing okay?"

i'm going to tell you the truth, linda. ever since you've left, he's gone back to the way things were before. but this time, it's gotten worse.