Patience, Alpha

FREY POV

It had been a few weeks since I had done anything physical. I justified my exercise as patrolling my border with my Beta. For the first half hour me and Chris jogged next to each other in silence. Rumble and Yaps were alert and completely in their element. They plodded along, and I finally felt Chris's mind poke towards mine.

Alright. Spill.

Spill what? I ask.

You're unusually quiet. It's almost like you're brooding. And it's weird, because you never brood.

I'm not brooding, I inform my brother before sighing. I'm just thinking.

About? Chris prompts. I sigh.

Zane. You were right. He can't accept anyone or anything until he accepts himself. But it's just so... stupid. I'm pretty sure he was afraid of the pups today, I inform my older brother. Chris sighs. When he speaks, it sounds like the words are being forced out of his mouth.

Zane's got issues. We know that. All we—all you can do is be patient and be willing to hear him out and help him. Lucky for Zane, he's got the most patient mate on the entire planet.

For some reason, Chris didn't sound like he actually thought Zane was lucky. I wasn't sure exactly what emotion he was showing, and since I was inside of Yap's mind, she couldn't hear my conversation with Chris, just like how I can't hear her conversations with other wolves when she's in my head.

I've talked to his wolf. I say. He's sweet and patient, and completely being taken advantage of just because he cares for his human half. The more Zane refuses to accept his wolf half, the more B-G gets hurt! I just can't understand why he does and says the things he does when he knows he's hurting his own wolf!

I feel my temper rise, and I'm sure Yaps, Rumble, and Chris feel it, too.

Calm down there, sis, Chris chuckles. Get him to talk to you. As soon as you know why he's having these reactions, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to fix him.

I sigh as I calm down slightly. I know Chris basically just said the same thing as before, and I can't believe than my anger caused me to be blind to the wisdom in his words.

Sorry, I say. These emotions make it hard for me to think.

Are you kidding? Chris grins. I've been waiting to tell you to calm down since you were ten. This is the best day of my life! I know they might seem like a hassle right now, but sooner or later, there's no way you'll be able to imagine life without emotions.

I shake my head, and Yaps tells me to stop. She says it feels weird in her head.

Whatever. You were having a moment, you know. You were all smart-sounding and I remembered why you were the Beta, and then you just had to go and keep talking, and I'm not too sure why you are anymore.

I'm your Beta because there's no one else who would do what I would do to ensure your safety. Chris's voice is stoic. I swallow and agree with Chris. I might have a mate. But I would always trust my brother first. He had never betrayed my trust, and I was positive that he wasn't about to start anytime soon.