Party

ZANE POV

The first ball came remarkably quickly. I still wasn't really supposed to leave Frey's side, but she and I had reached a sort of truce. I think. Either that, or she forgot about the whole 'stay with the Alpha until she thinks you're safe for the pack.' With how busy she'd been the past few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what happened.

I had asked her why she was working so hard, and it turns out we have basically two weeks of non-stop partying, cleaning up, re-setting up, and then some more partying. She had been trying to do as much paperwork for these weeks as she could. A few days ago, I had just about had a panic attack on my way to the bathroom and had to run back to her and explain that apple green was stress. Explaining stress had been a fun conversation.

"Zane, are you ready?" Gordon asked. He was the trainer for the patrol guards in Frey's pack. I wasn't exactly sure when I had started thinking of the Alpha as Frey, but once I had started, I had realized that there was no way that I was going back to calling her the Alpha.

"Yeah. How do I look?" I smirked, showing off the jet black suit Liza had tailored perfectly. Gordon was a cool guy, whenever he wasn't screaming at us with veins popping out of his neck because we couldn't punch him hard enough.

"Haha, you look smooth. But that wasn't what I was asking about."

"I mean, we got the place all set up, and I'm all dressed up. What else is there to be ready for?" I ask, confused.

"Your mate," he smirks.

"What?" I mean, I've seen her every day for the past however long. I've gotten used to her presence, even though she's emotionless more than she has actual emotions, and that still unnerves me.

"So you haven't seen what she's wearing yet?" Gordon looks amused.

"Um, no. Why?"

"There's a running bet, whether you'll freak out about it first, or Beta Chris,"

I scowl at the thought of the Beta.

"Why would either of us freak out?"

"You look nice," a beautiful voice asks from behind me. I don't even need to turn to know it's Frey. A slight hint of cinnamon and vanilla wafts into my senses, and a smile unconsciously spreads across my face.

"You really think so?" I turn around to face her. I'm about to say something, but the words die in my throat. I swallow instead.

She's gorgeous. There's nothing new about that. But, tonight especially. Her dress clung to her like a second skin. It was a bright red, and it stopped a little below halfway down her thighs. It was sleeveless, and I think it had a sweetheart neckline. Gripping her throat was a black choke collar, and I found myself wishing my lips replaced the necklace.

Before I could tell the wolf to stop messing with my emotions and thoughts, I looked at her face. And that's when my breath left my body.

Her face was flawless, like always. Her lips were adorned with bright red lipstick to match her dress, and her eyes somehow looked bigger than usual. Her hair was pulled half-up and half-down, exposing her slender neck.

I snapped my gaze down again, to study the floor, but my eyes caught on her shoes. They were high heeled black stilettos, and they made her legs look...

My mind went back to that night, right after my fight with Larry. My mouth turned dry.

"Uh..." the sound left my mouth without my consent, and Gordon chuckled next to me.