Chapter Twenty - Not Fair At All

Dean (POV)

I looked at Castiel's face, all aspects of it. The confusion and hurt his eyes, the bags under them, the thin line that his lips held and the scrunched up nose which he only did when he was mad. I didn't expect anything less, i deserved his wrath.

I have no idea what i looked like to him, probably just as bad... or worse. Or maybe when he looked at my face he could see that I was happy without him, which was completely untrue but Cas always had a way of over-analysing everything, of thinking too much and blaming himself for everything.

"You need to leave." Cas tells me and my heart dropped down to my boots. I expected nothing less. Like i said, i probably deserved everything he did or said to me for what i had put him through.

"Cas-"

"Get the hell out of my family's house." He hissed, not wanting anyone to hear our conversation. "I don't want to see you today. Not on their birthday. Just leave me alone."

I didn't know what i expected from him to be honest. Maybe a part of me expected him to come running back to me like nothing had ever happened, but i had gone to far. I had tried to take his kids away from him, and i don't think he will ever forgive me for that.

Cas (POV)

Dean looked at me, hurt covering his whole face but he had no idea how much he had hurt me. I just wanted him to leave. His whole reason was stupid and ridiculous. I couldn't believe he had put me through all of that just because of the homophobia we had faced.

Sure, I hated it just as much as he did. But I could face up to those problems in a grown up manner now, not with anger like i used to be i had learned to ignore such idle threats and petty comments. I never realised how much they had upset Dean throughout his whole life.

Maybe some of the blame was to be put on my own shoulders. Maybe i should have realised how much he hated the comments that people made about us when we were holding hands or kissing to say goodbye to each other before work. I had turned a blind eye to them because all i could see were my family, all i could see were those that were important to me.

But Dean's heart was too open for that,he took every comment to heart and it hurt him when people said awful things about us. I couldn't deal with the guilt and anger running through me just then, which is why i wanted him to go.

Before i can tell him to get out again, the kids run back into the room and up to Dean, jumping on him.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" They shout at they hold their presents from him in their hands. Dean smiles tiredly down at them and pats theirs heads affectionately before looking back up at me. The twins look between me and Dean for a moment while frowning.

"Can daddy stay?" Em whispers quietly and i look down at him. They were learning. They knew something was wrong and they knew that we weren't together any more. That's why they asked such a difficult question.

"Pleaseeeee." Sammy joined in, giving me her best puppy eyed look, battering her eyelashes slightly.

"No, it's okay." Dean finally said, shaking his head and the kids looked up at him a bit upset. "I have to go. You'll see me next week alright?"

"No!" Both of the twins cried in unison. They did this alot, kicked up a big fuss when one of us had to leave. Me and Dean were used to it by now but it still hurt to see how angry and upset they got when they saw that we just couldn't get along.

"It's okay." I say and everyone goes quiet. "You can stay. They haven't opened all of their presents yet and mom needs to finish the cake..." I trail off and rub the back of my neck.