(8) The Return Receipt [Part 2]

You guys asked for it XD

***

As the sun slowly started to sink below the trees, it cast long shadows that seemed to wrap around the girl on the park bench. She had her head down and her hands in her lap, one thumb absently petting the opposite wrist. Nobody bothered her, and for once in her life, she wished somebody would.

You had no original plan when you ran away from Mark. Putting distance between you two just seemed to be the best option at the time. Now, though, you'd welcome any company, even his. You were tired, alone, and admittedly, a little spooked.

And lost. Can't forget about that.

No tears spilled, though. Your chest ached as if you had bawled your eyes out, but you only sniffles occasionally. Even then, it was more to break the lonely silence embracing you than because you were actually sad and crying.

It was about time for the park to close. With little energy and a growling stomach, you got up and trudged to the exit. Despite your gloomy situation, you still managed to be sarcastic. Even in a world where you know who your soul mate is, I'm destined to be forever alone.

The park ranger nodded at you as you left. The last of the birds sang their lullabies as they hopped from branch to branch. A few groups of people brushed past you, gossiping about the day they had or the night they were about to have. And, up ahead of you in front of a hardware store, Mark was sitting on a bench with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

His hair was messy from running his fingers through it repeatedly. You couldn't see his face, even as you walked closer, but you could tell he was distressed. Your first instinct was to sit by him, but you just spent the past few hours on a bench. So you stopped in front of him and bit your lip, trying to think of a snarky comment to get his attention. When nothing came, you sighed and started with the only thing that came to mind.

"Hey," Your voice came out hoarse, almost like a croak. Mark's head snapped up, startled by his sudden companion. Relief sparked in his deep Brown eyes, and he straightened up.

Clearing your throat, you continued. "So, I don't expect you to fall in love with me or anything, but...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have run away, and I definitely should've listened to your side of things with my sister."

Mark smirked, his head bouncing lightly as he chuckled lightly. Instead of accepting your apology, he looked right at you and asked, "Do you know how worried I've been?"

Any other time, you'd tell him worrying about you was none of his business. Today was different. Today, everything was going crazy and all of the things you thought wouldn't happen, did. So you went against your instinct and smiled sadly.

"More worried than you deserve to be." Mark must've been expecting a rude comment as per usual, because he could only watch you in shock after you spoke.

He shook his head. "You slid over a car, (Y/n). A car."

"Pretty cool, right?" He avoided your gaze, and you sighed. "Listen, how can I make it up to you? I'll do anything."

"Anything?" Peeking up, he gave you a sly grin. You punched him in the shoulder.

"PG, loverboy," You warned. Mark laughed and stood up, stretching and letting out an involuntary moan that made you uncomfortable.

"Okay. Let me treat you to a birthday dinner. Not as soulmates," He added when he saw you about to object. "As friends."

Friends was a bit of a stretch for you, but you could handle it for one night. Sighing, you nodded. "Okay. Lead the way."

***

THERE WILL BE MORE PARTS BUT HIW IS THIS MINI SERIES THING So FAR