(2) He Needs a Hug

Warning: if thinking of Daniel bothers you too much, I suggest you skip this one or proceed with caution.

"Mark..." You started quietly, knocking on his bedroom door. "You sure you don't want to come downstairs?"

It was a week after the funeral, and Mark had spent most of his time in his house, absentoy staring into space or talking softly about the recent loss. Most of the time, you would listen to his tearful words, but sometimes he chose to talk to the disbanded Cyndago boys. You had also caught him mumbling to himself once in a while, a stray tear leaving a wet trail down his cheek. He wasn't making videos. He didn't watch anything. He just sat around the house, thinking more than anything.

Mark wasn't necessarily depressed, at least not clinically. It was mostly shock, despite the amount of time that had passed. If the need arose and you couldn't take care of him, you knew he'd be able to function on his own and would without hesitation. You knew he wouldn't do anything to hurt himself, but a little part of you needed him to know you were there. The same little part of you is what made you stay with him constantly, afraid he might do something drastic if you weren't there to stop him.

Now, you heard him grunt at the thought of going downstairs. He was probably sprawled out like a starfish, staring intently at the swirls on the ceiling while thinking of Daniel. "Well, okay, but I made you hot chocolate," You answered through the door, adjusting your fingers around the warm mug. A few moments later the door opened, which was a good sign. At least he was getting up.

You slid past him and set the mug on the bedside table, the little clunk it made deafening in the quiet room. Behind you, Mark sighed and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Thanks." His deep voice sounded meek, as if he was afraid to break the quiet around him. As if the heavy silence was the only thing keeping him together.

You sat next to him after nodding, staring at the wall opposite of you. A few moments passed before you turned you noticed the slight tremor from the bed. Turning your head, you saw Mark with his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking from the quiet sobs.

For a minute, you didn't know what to do. You knew how close Mark and Daniel had been, and you knew how much Mark was hurting right now. However, you also knew that no amount of I'm sorrys or It'll be okays could ever bring Daniel back. Ultimately, saying He's in a better place now wasn't much help for Mark because the "better place" wasn't the one place he wanted Daniel to be, which was Earth. Alive. With him. So, instead of saying anything, you wrapped your arms around him tightly and refused to let go.

It was as if the dam had been broken. All of a sudden, all the tears and heartbreak Mark had been holding back came rushing out. His sobs shattered the silence that had held his broken pieces together. The only thing keeping him from completely falling apart was your tight embrace. Eventually he clung to you, keeping his arms around your torso even after his shaking cries of sadness had been reduced to weak whimpers. You played with a strand of his pink hair absently, finally finding something to say.

"I won't leave you, Mark," You whispered. He didn't respond with words; instead, he held you tighter.