(7) Return Receipt [Part One]

AHAHAHA IM STILL ALIVE IM SORRY FOR LEAVING YOU

***

You fidgeted nervously. Today was finally the day. It was your 23 birthday.

Normally, that's nothing big. After all, it's not like you can get a driver's lisence like when you turned sixteen, were an adult like when you turned eighteen, or could drink like when you turned twenty one. No, you would look in the eyes of your soul mate, and the strange birthmark on your wrist would glow vibrantly, like a neon tattoo. That is, if your soul mate was already 23, which you were sure they were.

Nothing could bring you down from your giddiness. Not even coming across your long-time frenemy, Mark. A.K.A, the bastard who dated your sister, broke her heart, then later chased after you. Yeah, you had some bad blood with the guy, but your soon-discovered soul mate would take care of him for you.

Just when you were thinking you weren't going to come across Mark, he saunters into the bookstore you were at, smiling when he sees you. Quickly, you duck your head down into the book, suddenly interested in Cooking Meth for Dummies.

"Hey, (Y/n)." Mark said casually, leaning up against the bookshelf. You growled slightly and ignored him. "So, um, happy birthday."

"Mark, I know you hate me. Why are you here?" You asked without looking up.

"I don't hate you, (Y/n). I just wish you'd listen to my side of the story and-"

"Your side of the story?" You exclaimed, your voice rising more than intended. "I know what happened, Mark, I don't need your lies to throw me off."

"(Y/n), she didn't tell you any of the truth, I swear." You snapped your head up and glared directly into his eyes. He remained calm. The two of you were beginning to accumulate a small audience.

"So now my sister's a lier, huh?" A small, warm tingle tickled your wrist. "Let me tell you something, honey. I-"

"Uh, (Y/n)?" Mark asked, looking at his arm.

"Not now, I'm making a point. I-" You raised your arm to point at him but caught sight of your wrist. Your tattoo was glowing, shades of pink and blue swirling on your arm. Mark's arm was glowing, too. You gaped. Mark was your soul mate. "What the fuck is this?" You asked.

Mark was grinning, looking from his arm to you and back to his arm. Your worst enemy was your soul mate. "What the fuck is this?" You repeated, trying to cover it up. The people around you coped and clapped, thinking that cursing was just your reaction to surprise. It wasn't.

You ran your fingers over your wrist roughly, as if trying to tear off the proof. "No. No. This isn't happening." You muttered, looking around frantically. This was a joke, right? Somebody was, like, shining a laser on your wrist or your friends painted it while you were sleeping.

"(Y/n), the birthmarks don't lie," Mark gently informed you. His voice tipped you over. You threw your book down and pushed past the people surrounding you, racing out of the bookstore as fast as you could.

You knew Mark was chasing you. He was calling your name over the sound of the busy L.A. streets, and you could hear his footsteps pounding after you. There was no way you could outrun him, so you tried to get him to lose sight of you.

You ducked behind trash cans and ran through side alleys, trying to avoid Mark. When you can across swarms of people, you'd plow right through. Nothing stopped you.

"(Y/n)!" Mark screamed, suddenly louder than before. You looked behind you, realizing you had run right into the road. If you stopped, you'd be hit. If you went backwards, you'd be hit. So you ran straight forward and managed to slide across the hood of the car, only getting an angry yell in response. Mark was stuck waiting until he could cross, which gave you the advantage you needed.

When he finally made it across, you were nowhere to be seen.

*****

So, um...should this be a thing? Like, should I make a part 2? Let me know!

I NEED YOUR APPROVAL- I MEAN OPINIONS!