Chapter Fourteen: Lamps Will Break; Hearts Will Ache

Start from the beginning

What I couldn't seem to understand was how did I even remember what my room looked like, and how I remembered what the room looked like from my dream. I had never remembered a dream so vividly, but it felt like I had been in here just days ago.

"I haven't been in here in fifteen years," Alex said breaking my thoughts. I turned to look at her as she looked at a picture on the dresser in the room. "No one has." I gulped feeling sadness for her. I wanted to be angry, but I couldn't help but feel bad. I knew it wasn't my fault, but she was still my mother and my absence caused her pain.

"Why?" I asked. She shifted her sights to the floor.

"I made myself go insane staying in here. I practically lived in here after they took you. This was all I had left of you," she said. I could practically feel her sadness coming off in waves. It made a panging ring out in my chest. I wanted to comfort her, but at the same time I didn't.

"Did the memories drive you insane? The pictures?" I asked. She just smiled as shook her head.

"No," she said as her blue eyes connect with my grey ones, "more like the feeling of karma."

"Karma?" She chuckled at my question which made me more confused.

"Yea, it was a long time ago. Long story," she answered pushing the whole thing to the side.

Almost everything in me wanted to make her tell me. I wanted to know just what karma she was talking about, and for some reason, I felt the need to know her whole story. But, a small part of me knew that I shouldn't push the subject.

"I'll leave you alone to look around," she said stepping away, "don't think you can leave, either. I've got eyes everywhere," she shouted as she walked down the hall.

I rolled my eyes. How is this woman even my mother?

Turning my attention away from Alex, I wandered aimlessly around the room. I looked at the shelves with pictures on them. I smiled knowing I was most likely the baby in them. I moved to the rocking chair with a stuffed animal on it and then to the crib. I gulped feeling a heavy feeling in my chest as I looked into it. I couldn't shake the feeling that this room used to be a happy room. Now, it just brought sadness.

I turned away from the crib with a frown. I didn't want to think about it. I bit my lip and looked at the dresser. On top of it had a tv. I shrugged and decided that it was best to just watch that than focus on the room.

I pressed the on button and immediately a video started playing. It was home movie.

"Greyson, why are you taking videos of me?" A young woman said. I realized she was Alex when I really looked at her. She was unbelievably beautiful. Her brown hair went below her shoulders. Her blue eyes seemed to pop in the white room.

"Because you look really good right now," Greyson said from behind the camera. Alex rolled her eyes and held her hand up to the lens.

"I look like shit. Now, go before I throw this lamp at you," she threatened. Greyson chuckled.

"Yeah, okay," he said. Just then, Alex grabbed the lamp off of the bedside table and threw it at him.

"Hey!" He shouted as the camera clattered to the floor. "That was rude."

"I told you to stop," Alex said nonchalantly as Greyson bent down to grab the camera. My eyes widened as I saw just how hot my dad was.

"Oh my god," I muttered to myself in disbelief. "How'd I turn out like this with parents like them?"

His hair was an extremely dark brown, nearly black. It stuck up in random places as if he had just woke up. His jawline was structured to basic perfection and his eyes were the most stunning shade of grey I'd ever seen.