Chapter One: Almighty Tree Whisperer

"Please. I need this job. I can't-" then the door was slammed into my face, "afford to have another door slammed in my face again by another rude person like you!" I yelled loudly hoping she would hear, but failed. The only attention I managed to catch were random people on the street. They didn't say anything, but a few laughed quietly.

That's what I felt like, lately. A joke.

Everywhere I go, people seem to find enjoyment in my failure. No one gives me a chance. No one, but despite it all, I keep my mouth closed.

It has been difficult. I won't lie. I didn't expect it to be this way. In the movies, everything seems so much better. Everyone is so much friendlier and life is so much easier.

Not in reality.

Society today is harsh. That should be what everyone laughs at because society is the joke.

After leaving the Aldridge Orphanage, I thought the hospital was bad. No. Living out here is bad.

I spent most of my time jumping cities and towns looking for jobs all for nothing. No one wants a dirty, homeless orphan-girl working for them. That is the conclusion I have come to. No one cares if you are the hardest-working person on the face of the Earth. If you don't fit the ideal image of society, you don't deserve their time.

It isn't my entire fault for not being able to shower. I need money to buy shampoo...and a shower.

The voice in my head whined. It was upset because I was upset. It just wanted me to be happy, but the past two weeks were filled with nothing but sorrow.

Pushing away the chuckles of the rude people surrounding me, I decided to just find a park or anywhere to sleep for the night. It was only about noon, but it's better to know where you are going to set up camp for the night ahead of time I have learned.

When you don't have money, obviously you can't afford anything a normal person would be able to afford which includes motel rooms. So, bus stop and park benches have became my best friend.

I didn't lift my eyes up from the sidewalk I walked on. I wasn't scared, more like ashamed. I didn't want to look at anyone because as long as they look better than I do, they believe they're better than me. I never used to believe silly things like that, but lately I have.

I knew the moment I looked up at some woman jogging down the pavement with her fancy Nikes on, her freshly washed hair pulled back into a ponytail, and expensive cellphone blasting music into her ears through shiny new earbuds, I'd probably have a mental break down.

I don't think people understand how much that can hurt. I wouldn't.

Eventually, I found the community park. There weren't a lot of people there. I'm guessing it's because of the dark clouds that seem to be gathering in the sky. I expected it to rain since it seemed to be doing that a lot lately.

Great. I thought thinking about just how much I was starting to hate April. I shook away the pessimistic comment from the voice in my head and continued walking through the park until I found the jackpot.

It was a little play set, but there was a little house type of thing at the top. Of course, it wasn't really a house. It was a platform above the ground that had slides coming out of the sides, but it had a roof-looking thing over it. It was perfect for me.

I didn't go up to inspect my own little section of heaven. There were still children playing on it, and I didn't want to scare them. It was like a knife piercing my heart seeing little kids look at me like I was a diseased animal.