Chapter 23

I knew I needed to start praying once again and forever be grateful to God the second I had entered Dominic's house. Mom, Nate, and Miguel were in the living room and were overjoyed when they saw me entered. Especially mom, she was almost emotional.

An hour earlier, I swore that I was dead. When I felt that triggered being squeezed and that shot rang out, I swore that I was a goner. I honestly had no idea how I had been able to be that lucky. The gun had been pressed against my chest and I swore that I had gotten shot. Somehow during our wrestling, the gun must've turned around towards Glen. When the trigger had been squeezed and that shot was fired, it blasted straight through his stomach. The gun had fallen from both of us hitting me in the stomach before I felt his warm blood poured out and soaked through my shirt as he fell on top of me.

I would have hoped we could've gotten Glen alive so that Marc and Dominic would be able to question him and dealt with him themselves but unfortunately he died. I was relieved when I pushed his body off of me and saw that I was alright. When I had called back Marc, he and Dad had already been on their way from that very first call. They showed up less than ten minutes after, as they organized a clean-up crew and took me back to Dominic's place.

"Oh my God honey, are you okay?" Mom said as she came towards me then saw my state.

"Yeah, I'm fine mom. Most of this blood isn't mine." I told her.

"What happened?" Mom asked.

"It's a long story," I sighed. "I discovered Glen is the traitor a little too late. He stopped by the restaurant earlier and gave me the impression that he was there to protect me instead he tried to kill me. Unfortunately for him, he got killed."

"Hey let me look at that cut on your hand." Dr. Lee said to me.

"Can I just go take a quick shower and change into something of Dominic first?" I asked, "I really don't like the feeling of Glen's blood on me."

"Just let me see if there's anything still in there." He said to me as he came and took my hand.

"I'm only bit bruised but I'll live," I reassured them as Dr. Lee worked on getting out a piece of splinter that had been left behind in my palm.

"You'll probably need stitches if you could just..." Dr. Lee started but I cut him off.

"Seriously, we can do all this after I've washed off and see Dominic. I don't think I'm going to bleed out and die now."

I literally threw my clothes in the trash. There was no I would have ever
worn them again after what had happened.
As I washed all the dirt and blood off myself, I felt slightly cleaner but I knew that I would have to add another tally to my scoreboard of lost lives- although, technically I wasn't the one who had killed Glen.

~|~|~

"I'm sorry he died. We could've tried to get information out of him." I said to Marc, "One of the things that he said to me was that he didn't want to do what he did but it was a family for his family."

"What does that mean?" Mom asked.

"I have no idea but I think he was working with someone else. That's why I wished that he hadn't died. We probably would've found out who he was working for and who else may be a traitor in the group."

"It doesn't matter anymore now. We're not going to get anything out of him now," Dad said. "No wonder security footage didn't show anything at the time of the shooting. Glen must've disabled them before."

"We're going to adjust that so only I or Dominic can do that." Marc responds.

"How bad was it by the way?" I asked.

"It wasn't serious but he's currently sleeping from the painkillers Dr. Lee gave him. He'll be fine once he's awake. He narrowly escaped getting a major shot." Dad informed me.

"I'm gonna go check on him now," I told them as I left and went towards Dominic's room.

As much as Dominic wasn't seriously hurt, it could have been worst. What if Glen had managed to shot him in his chest- his heart- or in his head? He would have died.

I crossed my arms over my chest as I stood at the side of his bed and looked at him while he slept. There was no way one could know that he was the leader of a mafia group considering how peaceful he looked.

"You know we need to find out now and fast- if that Cavelli is the leader of the other group and if they're the ones targeting us." I heard Marc said.

"I know," I replied without taking my eyes from a sleeping Dominic.

"He'll be fine Lexi. Fortunately, it wasn't that serious, it's just the medicated drugs that caused him to look like that." Marc said to me. "He tried to fight it but..."

"Not every drug you can fight." I finished for him. "I know. It's just that even though we hadn't got along at first while growing up, it's different now and it was such a scare when you called and told me he was shot.

"If anything more had happened it would be like losing my family all over again."

"But it didn't. And it won't, we're going to do everything in our power to make sure that we eliminate every threat to us and make sure our family remains safe." Marc said.

"We need to find out who can be trusted and who can't from the group first before we can guarantee safety," I said to him.

"We'll figure something out soon. If there are more rats in the group, I assure you they won't be hiding much longer." Marc replied, "Dominic and I will get them."

"Yeah, you know even though he's gonna be a bit groggy he's still gonna be his usual demanding stubborn self when he wakes up," I referred to Dominic.

"Nothing I can't handle, " Marc said to me. "We just need to find all the threats now and take them out one by one."

"Don't worry, we'll get them but for now, you stick around with Dominic and I'll try to get more information on Cavelli."

"You'll need to be careful though Lexi. Glen targeted you earlier and if this guy is indeed another Mafia leader and finds out you're snooping around it'll cause trouble for you." Marc said to me.

"Don't worry, I won't be snooping. I'll just be putting clues together to figure things out. I'll find a way."