Chapter 7

As weeks passed, I had eventually fitted into the school system. At that point, my life had started feeling better. I was making progress in school and had actually started communicating with other kids once more. Katherine and Alphonso were the best, I had actually felt like I was indeed their daughter.

Dominic however was still a different story. He was still cold and unfriendly towards me, maybe not as much as before but still. I had stopped caring about it though, he had talked to me a few times when he had to and was my ride to and from school, so I called it progress. Even Dominic's friend Marc had become really friendly to me and I knew Dominic hated that his best friend was being nice to me, but it was funny to watch his expression each time.

One evening after school was over, I had come out of class a bit later than usual because our teacher had kept us back for an extra five minutes. After all, some students had been quite disruptive earlier. He decided that he would punish us by holding us back an extra five minutes-as if five minutes extra could be considered punishment. When I reached the parking lot where I normally met Dominic for him to take us home, all I was met with was the smoke that came from his car as he sped away.

Now that was punishment.

I usually had to wait on him for up to an hour sometimes for him to be ready to leave the school grounds but the one time I'm five minutes late he left me behind? He hadn't even come to see where I was or anything.

I had lived there for a while and attended the school for over two months, so I was familiar with the roads to home. I sighed as I decided to start walking. I thought that maybe I would walk part of the way then got a taxi or something the rest of the way. I had walked for almost ten minutes or more when a silver Porsche pulled up next to me.

“What are you doing?” Marc called out to me.

“Walking” I stated as I barely glimpsed at him then continued walking while he drove slowly at my walking pace.

“I can see that, but why are you walking?” He questioned.

“Oh, I don't know. Maybe because I'm crazy and feeling quite energetic, so I decided to walk home this evening, or because your stupid friend decided to leave me behind” I replied.

“Alright, get in” Marc chuckled.

“Thanks, but I'm fine” I replied stubborn as ever, and not really being in the mood to talk to anybody.

“Come on Lexi, don't be stubborn. Let me give you a ride home” he stopped then leaned over in his seat and opened the passenger door.

“Fine” I sighed as I got in.

“You know you're one really stubborn and hardheaded girl” Marc chuckled.

“Thanks for the compliment” I replied sarcastically in a sweet voice which caused him to laughed at my choice of a comeback.

“You never ceased to surprise me” Marc chuckled as he drove off “I don't know why Dominic doesn't give you a chance”

“You should ask him that,” I said to him as he drove me home.

*********************
“Thanks a lot for the ride,” I said to Marc as he parked in front of the house.

“No problem, I'll see you tomorrow. Tell the big boy I said hey” Marc chuckled.