Chapter 4

Thankfully I got a mail the next day from Wright and Co, stating that I was entitled to a week off, following the previous incidents. I also received a text from, lo and behold, the one and only Mr Wright. I had expected something along the lines of “I'm so sorry. Here's 10 million dollars.” But no, his text was like this:

The work is piling on my desk. Come to the office soon. We need to discuss a few things.

I was nearly burnt to death and he was worried about his work? I wanted to smash my phone on the wall but managed to restrain my anger though with a lot of difficulty. The anger management classes seemed appealing.

Sia had mentioned that the hospital bills were fully being paid by the company, which was the right thing to do. I was still angry over that matter and two weeks later, I still hadn't  forgotten it.

When I walked into the office, I only heard hushed whispers. Sabrina was not at her usual desk, and I was thankful for that since I wasn't really sure if I'd be able to stop myself from punching her. Not the most appropriate behavior for a twenty four year old, I admit, but hell if I cared. She deserved it and much more.

I was welcomed by hushed whispers and a few glares but what shocked me were the new faces I saw. No sight of any of the girls who had been here when I first walked in. Strange. I had already prepared myself mentally to rip a few extensions and break a few teeth, but fate was not on my side unfortunately.

Another proof of that fact was that as soon as I stepped in, I saw the one face that I did not want to see. A guilty expression plastered on her face, Sabrina was walking towards me. Then one specific memory came upon me where she had declared that she got a promotion and was shifted to my floor. How fortunate for me.

“Oh Nova.” I was sure to try to beat her up but her worried face stopped me. I pondered for a second, trying to decipher whether she was genuine or not.

But she was, her face said it all.

“I am so sorry.”  She started and her face reddened. “I'm so ashamed of them,” she muttered.

“I'm sure you are,” I smiled tightly and tried to make my way past her.

“Wait. I thought you saw my messages.” She yelled with desperation and I stopped immediately.

At my shocked expression, she continued.

“I sent you messages on your office mobile phone. I asked you not to bring him coffee and that they were about to perform that stunt.”

“You did?” My eyebrows shot up.

To be honest, till now, I hadn't opened the phone Mr Wright had given to me. I was just making use of the laptop, since I was getting emails on them.

“Yes, you can go check it. Anyways, I'm so happy you're okay and you're here. Mr Wright wanted to talk to you.”

“Uh okay. Sure. See you later.”

I had full intention of checking my phone to see if she had sent me messages. And indeed she had. I switched the phone on to see at least ten messages. Seven from Sabrina and three from Mr Wright.

Hey it's me, Sabrina. Just saying that you should be careful while you're fetching Mr Wright's coffee since a birdie plans to give you a coffee bath. But you didn't hear it from me.

Did you get my messages?

Hellloooooo

If ever you're planning to make the coffee, make it extra cold. It's tradition to welcome the new assistant by doing that. Once again, you didn't hear it from me.

This one was recent.

Uhm hi. How are you? I guess I'm really ashamed of these girls. Rest assured, they have been fired. Amanda is gone along with Lydia, Cece and Brianna. They are going to be replaced soon. I'm sorry again, I thought you got my message but obviously you didn't.

Are you still angry with me? I'm sorry. Get well soon. I can't wait to see you back. The new girls are nice. Out of the 30 people working on this floor, like 4 people are still here who were on the bet. They feel guilty also. Bye, see you soon.

The sender of the following messages were Mr Wright.

Ms Taylor, as soon as you get into work, come and see me.

Your one week leave has been extended to two weeks.

Come see me in my office immediately Ms Taylor.

I was startled when I saw that the last message was sent a few minutes ago. Cursing, I removed myself from my hiding place, the kitchen, and walked straight towards his office, gripping the letter I had in my hand tightly.

He was in for a treat, since I had some pent up rage in me. How dare he let this incident go by?

“Come in.”

I walked in the room and crossed my hands, glaring at him.

“Ms Taylor?” His eyes narrowed as if I was a pest. I'd show him how much of a pest I was.

“Yes it's me.” I adopted the resting bitch face. “You wanted to talk?”

“Sit down.” He ordered. Seriously?

“No. I'm perfectly capable of standing up on my two feet Mr Wright.”

“Suit yourself.” He clenched his jaw and adjusted his tie.

“The girls who were responsible for this have been fired.” He finally said, after a long pause.

“So I've heard. And what about you?”

He clenched his fist and kept it on the table. “What about me?” He was gritting his teeth, no doubt not appreciating the way I was speaking to him. Good.

“As if you don't know,” I rolled my eyes. “You’re as guilty as them Mr Wright.” I finally snapped at him.

“And pray tell me what did I do?” He leaned into his chair and crossed his arms.

“You knew about this tradition. You knew they were going to spill coffee on me, and yet you sent me out for it?”

“I don't have to explain myself to you.”

“Yes you do. I was the victim here. I had to endure through that whole ordeal. So don't you dare tell me that you don't have to explain yourself to me Mr Wright.” I slammed my hands on his table, leaning on him.

Our faces were a few centimeters apart and our eyes were fixed on each other.

“You don't have the right to talk to me like that Ms Taylor. I'm still your boss.”

“Not anymore,” I threw the resignation letter that I had in my hand on his table.

He let out a sharp breath and read the letter. He proceeded by tearing it up, which made me gasp. My patience was thinning out, as was his.

“You are wasting my time Ms Taylor. Get. To. Work.”

“I. Quit.” I snarled at him.