Chapter 1

My morning started somewhat like this.

"Nova. Bring your sweet ass to my car, right fucking now." I winced when I heard my friend Sia almost growling from her car. Not good.

"You're going to be late for your interview. And you must know how much I begged Mr Wright for this interview. My job is on the line."  

I was pretty sure there was no begging from her part, but whatever.

"Coming," I answered from my room. Spraying some nice expensive perfume on me, I checked my reflection briefly on the mirror.

My blue knee-length pencil skirt looked fabulous, especially matched with a flowy black blouse. I wasn't too keen on doing anything to my hair, so I just put it up in a ponytail and ended the look with some black pumps. First impressions count. I needed to look professional and reliable. The job was much needed. 

Cross-checking that my door was locked and windows closed, I turned around and rushed to the car as fast as I could in heels and super tight pencil skirt. Not a pretty sight.

Sia was a pathological drama queen, causing me to roll my eyes at her. We weren't even close to late. At this point, we might have even got there early enough to open the doors.

Hadn't you been able to guess it yet, the great Sia worked at Wright and Co. and she managed to score an interview with her boss. She actually heard from one of the girls who worked on the same floor as the boss that he had fired his assistant again. I didn't know why she thought it was a good idea to project me in the line of vision of the man. I surely wasn't that bad of a friend now, was I? But then again, I was so desperate for a job that I was considering McDonald's.

The local hearsay remarked that he was ruthless and controlling, which was understandable for a man directing such a huge multi-billion company. However that didn't explain his manwhore-ness. Seemed like he liked a different girl in his bed every day. Major turn off, to be honest. News had it that he had changed up to 18 assistants in the short 8 months that he was here, the 'news' being Sia.

This would be an upgrade from my former boss, who kicked me out because I refused his advances. It started as staring, then lingering a bit too long at my desk. And it ended up being something more serious. Long story short, he fired me and hence this explains my desperation for this job.

Not long after we started off, we reached the building. Sia had been mumbling something about advices on how to handle the boss but I had completely zoned out.

"Anyways”, she concluded. “You be confident. Don't be scared of him, he'll chew you out like used chewing gum." Being compared to used chewing gum was fun. Not.

She dropped me in front of the entrance of the building, heading over to park her car in the underground parking. The tall skyscraper was intimidating, but definitely beautiful.

I fell in love with the interior decoration. Fun fact, I actually wanted to be an interior designer back in my teenage years, but then my wants switched like every month. Besides, some people thought this wasn't really a job.

The concept was simple, futuristic. Impeccable white marble on the floor, sleek black marble furniture everywhere, huge vases with colorful flowers, it was going to be fun working there.

At the corner of my eye, I saw a woman checking me out from head to toe. She was beautiful, but the 'trying too hard' type of girl. Her eyes were full with disgust as she stared at me. I secretly hoped that the man didn't employ only these kinds of women or I'd be doomed.

Not that I wasn't beautiful. But on a scale of one to ten, I was probably a five. A six if I dressed up and wore makeup.

My feet led me to the receptionist who was a bit too cheery for my liking.

"G'morning. How may I help you?"

"Hi, I'm Nova Taylor and I--" I bit my lip at the interruption.

"Oh yeah Ms Taylor. Mr Wright is expecting you. Take the elevator to the 40th floor and someone will guide you from there."

I smiled tightly at her and walked towards the elevators. One was out of order, and one was currently on the 14th floor, heading to the 37th. It would take some time for it to go that far and come back.  My eyes bugged out when I saw the time. In five minutes, I'd be late. I discreetly turned towards the stairs, previously noting a private elevator there. I glanced towards my left and right and sneaked into it. Closing the door immediately, I noticed that there were no numbers in the elevator.

I was nearly trembling, where in the world was that going to take me?

I rolled my eyes at my stupidity, as if the elevator could take me to Paris or any other place. At least I'd still be in the building. I watched the floors I was in and saw 30, 31, 32. Good, at least I was no more on the ground floor.

I was pretty sure it was going to take me to the last floor and I faintly remembered Sia telling me that the boss's office was on the last floor. At least I hoped so.

The song playing in the elevator was unknown, but its beats were catchy. My feet automatically started tapping itself and my hands followed the beat.

A quick glance to the small panel on top informed me that we were close to the 40th floor. Bingo. Right where I wanted to be.

Not even a second later, the doors opened and as I stepped off and raised my head, I was frozen to place. Around sixty sets of eyes were currently on me, some in anger, some in disgust, some in surprise. After the plethora of feelings registered in my mind, I smiled in confusion at them and smoothed my hair and dress, hoping it wasn't my appearance that attracted the audience.

Seemed like it wasn't my appearance after all.

One of the man approached me and started yelling at me.

"Ma'am, may I know who are you and what are you doing in the private elevator?"

"I'm here for an interview with Mr Wright. And by the door obviously."

"Could you not use the normal elevator that everyone is using?"

Oh no.

"I'd rather take a shorter route than be late." I yelled my tone matching his. I glared at him and he signaled to the other guards that I was no danger.

Immediately someone grasped my hand and dragged me in a corner.

"Sia? " I exclaimed loudly in shock.

"What is wrong with you? I told you to wait for me at the entrance. I searched for you and I thought you got here already. When I came up I learnt about a crazy woman dancing in the private elevator. Do you know how scared I was? "

"I have no excuse.” I mumbled in response.

"Let's go, and yeah, forget about the job now. The news of you dancing around the elevator and breaking a rule has spread like fire."

"What? I was not dancing!" I yelled in my defense and blushed real hard.

"Everyone saw you. The security officer leaked the video to every one's computer so that they could see who you are and signal them if you were noticed somewhere."

Oh shit.

She led me through a corridor and I was in front of a huge office.

The door itself was intimidating. I took a step forward to knock. My palms were sweaty, and I made sure to wipe it again and again on my clothes.

"Come in." A commanding voice was heard and I almost jumped.