Chapter Ten

Well howdy there, folks.  I have a gift for you!

Here you go.

Sorry for the long wait, but I think you'll see that it was worth it.

This one's SUPER short, but it was legit one of my favorites to write. & I promise a quick upload soon so you wont have to be waiting too long. I just felt like this chapter needed to be short and sweet.

Sorry if it upsets some of you.

Well.. go read! (:

xo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER TEN

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. I decided right then and there that something was wrong with this kid.

“Zach? That’s impossible. How did you get my number?”

“How didn’t I get your number?”

It was a bullshit response on his part and made me become slightly annoyed with him. Not once had I even mentioned my number. There was no way he could have had it unless he snooped around in our volunteer file or something, which would have taken some serious balls.

And even then, he was a major creeper in my book.

“There’s no way,” I replied. “I never gave it to you.”

“You didn’t need to. I have magic powers.”

I didn’t know how to respond to that. I stayed silent. When he noticed that I wasn’t amused and was not going to answer, he sighed heavily.

“Really, Nicole. You’re about as much fun as a turkey in the rain, aren’t you?”

What the fuck?

“Not at one in the morning. Call me back at a reasonable hour, and I might be able to change your opinion.” I put the phone on speaker and laid it down next to my head on my pillow. I was suddenly too tired to be annoyed. “Now honestly, tell me how you got my number. I’m genuinely curious.”

He paused for a minute. I heard a female voice mumble softly in the background, but I couldn’t make out what she was saying. Zach pulled the phone away from his mouth and mumbled something back to her that I didn’t hear.

“Hold on a second,” he whispered. I heard shuffling and then the quiet closing of a door. “Okay, sorry about that.”

“Who was that talking to you?”

He paused for another moment.

“My mom,” he replied somberly. “She said I was being too loud. So I left the room. No big deal. Anyways, what were we talking about?”

“My number…,” I prompted.

“Oh! Right. I stole your phone while you were sleeping.”

Woah, woah, woah. Rewind.

“While I was sleeping?” I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. He had just reached an all new level of “creep”.

“Yeah, it went off while you were sleeping. I was in there watching you and I was afraid it was going to wake you. So I got it out of your pocket and turned the ringer off. Then I put it back in your pocket. Oh, and I might or might not have found your number in the settings in between those two things. No big deal.”