15

Get Return (book 4 of the Ascension series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J25YJ7C

"You still haven't explained where you went last night and why I you didn't invite me," Nina protested as they walked through the brightly lit streets of a small seaside city

Kita's whole group arrived under the cover of darkness to visit Amber's largest garrison of over two thousand men. It was going to be an even more daunting task than the central hub.

They'd spent the day gathering and organizing the necessary field equipment. It turned out the entire store of supplies and rations where missing, broken, or inoperable. Exasperated, Kita sent them with what they had. Telling them they could fix it or live without it. She met with Amber and Ryaid privately to have them make a list of essentials and she'd make sure they'd get it, but only after she inspected what they had when they returned to Razer's Reef.

"Don't worry about it, Nina. The Legion girls always go off to do some secret activity every now and again to prove to the rest of us how special they are. We had fun last night, didn't we?" Anthrax smiled up at her.

"Yeah," Nina admitted shyly.

"And what did you do?" Sarin asked slyly.

"You tell us, and then we'll tell you," Anthrax replied.

"Keeping secrets from your best friend now?"

"No more than you."

Sarin's curiosity got the better of her, "we swatted some insects."

"We had a long talk about life."

"Vague," Kita grinned and brushing Sarin, who intern brushed Nina.

Sarin reported back to Kita.

"I think you had more than a little talk," Kita remarked playfully.

Nina turned scarlet.

"Oh, she's redder than your wings, Sarin." Amber pointed in laughed, causing Nina to turn redder.

"Back off all of you," Anthrax hissed.

"Just teasing her a bit," Sarin replied with a smile.

"Yeah? No one ever teased you."

"Well I'm not just anyone. When did you become the protective mother hen?"

"When a nasty bitch like you comes along and makes me."

"Come one shark mouth, you think you can take me to protect your precious bluebird?"

Kita stopped and spun around. Grabbing each by the neck she hoisted them above her.

"Knock it off both of you. You, leave Nina alone. You should know better and what that can lead to. And you don't bite off more than you can chew. I don't want to have to scrape you off a wall."