3

Get Fall and Rise (Book 3 of the Ascension series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084MBQ1BF

Sarin sat on the beach sunning herself

Sarin sat on the beach sunning herself. The swim in had taken hours, or at least that's what it felt like. Deciding she was alone on the beach she had stripped to make the most of the time in the sun. Now on her stomach she spread her wings wide so they'd dry faster. Once they were dry she could preen them and be ready to fly.

"You make the most interesting decisions in an emergency." The blue bird said. It was fluffing and shaking its feathers rapidly to speed up the drying process.

"What do you mean?" Sarin asked.

"You're lying naked on a beach while your best friend is dying and your partner and other friends are in trouble. Classy move."

"I have to wait to dry. I might as well get some enjoyment out of it."

"Shall I inscribe that on all their tombstones or just Kita's?"

"How do you even know they are?" Sarin demanded.

"I know what you know. I'm you after all."

"So like a conscience?"

"Do I look like a cricket? I'm obviously her to help you and keep you on track. As much fun as sunning yourself is, it gets you no closer to figuring out how to help Nell." The bird had become agitated as it spoke and started to sway back and forth from foot to foot.

"Kita said I needed love to do it."

"So we're on this island because...?" The bird asked trying to get Sarin to keep the train of thought moving forward.

Sarin flushed and looked embarrassed, "this is where I first admitted to myself that I was in love."

"With Kita?"

"Yeah, it's the start of the happiest time of my life."

"So when did it end?" The bird asked turning its head upside down.

Sarin shook her head enthusiastically.

"It hasn't. Sure there have been a few bumps, but everyone says there are. I love Kita with all my heart. I know we're not perfect, but I like to think we're perfect together." Sarin smiled warmly thinking about Kita.

"Not perfect is an understatement, but that aside why would she direct you to a time that made you both happy?"

"I don't know. Maybe she wanted me to be reminded of something." Sarin shrugged.

"Well if we hurry we can see it in action." The bird hopped over Sarin's wing and landed on the small of her back.

"Ow! Claws you little feathered freak."

In response the bird bit Sarin on the butt. Sarin jumped up and twisted around, trying to catch her attacker. When she calmed down the bird was flying just outside of her reach.