Chapter 5: Fake it 'til You Make It (edited)

Beginne am Anfang

“It just keeps getting worse and worse, doesn’t it?”

“Afraid so,” she said. 

*

*

I turned on the faucet and stood in the shower. As I let the water pound against my back, I thought about me never seeing my family again. No matter what I do, I will never get to see them again. It had finally sunk it that the only way to obtain my freedom is escaping. These people own us now. 

Soon after I finished my shower, staff passed out our breakfast. Jillian and I talked until it was time for class. We went about our regular class routine until we had to split up. I walked into the Home Ec. class with pride. I was the best student, I might add. Apparently after my cake, and the muffins I made yesterday, I had a knack for it. I never had any leftovers. Mrs. Marsden had taken all of them.

Then it was Women to Mate living. I couldn’t listen to this bullshit anymore. Clearly this man shouldn’t be teaching this class or be near women. He’s way too grabby and thinks that we’re robots, “…so if your mate asks you to do something in a sexual manor, it is your duty to fulfill his wishes. It will keep him happy and as a result, you will be happy.” And blah, blah, blah. Everything he said usually went in one ear and out the other.

Today he thought it would be wise to sit on my desk and place his hand on my thigh for an example. I quickly showed him what I thought about it. He walked away with a limp and a scowl on his face. He tried to wave it off, but his eyes were showing the pain.

As class ended, I shot Mr. Wester a glare and he turned away from me. Got him just where I want him. I had a feeling that I wouldn’t have to deal with him and his apparent problem with touching, for much longer. 

Today in dance, I was paired with the same idiot for the last three days. He called himself Connor but I had a better name for him. Dick. He was too forceful and got angry easily. Just a few minutes ago, he dug his claws so deep into my hips that my fangs protruded. He just laughed and continued to dance. I would love to eat him for breakfast…literally.

“Okay, good, good,” the dance instructor, Mrs. Baxter, said as she walked up next to dick—I mean Connor and I. Connor held his head up with pride, making me want to barf so I made him trip. I looked around at all the other pairs and many of them were good, others were stepping over each other’s feet. One girl almost got slapped by her partner until Mrs. Baxter caught his hand.

I would have had more respect for Mrs. Baxter if she didn’t yell at the girl instead of the boy. Apparently girls are supposed to be graceful and not clumsy. There's only so much we could fuck up on until hitting us becomes acceptable.  She didn’t even make them change partners. Why fix a problem when all you have to do is act like there isn't one?

This place is just insane. After awhile Mrs. Baxter gave us a fifteen minute break before she left out the room with the previous problem partners in tow. I walked as far away from Connor as I could to inspect the claw marks he inflicted. It was not easy since I was wearing a dress. I had to squat behind the piano. Thank goodness he didn’t draw blood. The marks were minor at best because they were almost fully healed, but they hurt just as bad.

Noah—the pianist who I’ve been talking to more often—started walking towards me. At least until he saw Conner towering above me. What the hell could he want now? I stood up, he took my hand and pulled me over to a corner.

“So…how about you meet me later after class? We can work on your dance move some more,” he pulled a strand of my hair behind my ear. I didn’t like him touching me. Was he stupid? There was no way in hell I was doing anything with him. He just assaulted me.