America

I could barely keep still as the man at the desk stamped our papers. I had never seen so many papers in my life before. How Andrey had managed to get them in order I still to this day do not know. With every movement I was afraid that he would deny entrance.

Finally it stopped.

"Welcome to America Mr. Antonov." The man smiled widely at us and all my fears melted away. It was over we were finally in. Entrance had not been an easy task at all but it had all gone well.

"I wonder if Bridget is okay." Andrey walked us over to a bench and put down our luggage.

"I can find out soon enough. Here you three stay here I am going to see about a cab to bring us to our new home." He smiled and kissed my cheek before leaving.

"Alright just be careful!" I was afraid of someone getting lost on the crowd of people. There were so many. Many more then I had ever encountered before.

Not only that but everything sounded strange. Accents I couldn't understand. Children crying nearby and street peddlers trying to sell things. It was all so much in one place!

I held Natya close and instructed Alisa to stay close. Luckily whatever illness she had seemed to be gone for she bounced up and down pointing at all the different things.

"Look Annika over there! That man is selling some kind of silly hat! Oh look he's selling candy!" It took all my energy to keep both girls put.

I had to admit it was awful exciting watching everything go by. Everything had some kind of sound. Some kind of movement. I hated to say it but for the first time ever even after endless hours of dancing I felt worn out!

Then my thoughts swirled to my new home. Where was it? What was it like? Was it clean? Would the girls be safe? All these questions filled my head like the endless sea.

"Mrs. Antonova?" At first I didn't answer but then heat rushed to my cheeks as I realized that I was the one being spoken to. I turned around to face Lars and Bridget.

"Oh Bridget! You got past!" I hugged her and we both laughed.

"Yes and what an ordeal it was!" She smiled and settled Inga next to Alisa and let the two chat.

"Oh I am so glad you got past! I do hope we live in the same area. This place is so huge just across the street seems so vast!" Russia wasn't little but then again I wasn't so overwhelmed back in Russia.

"My Lars is getting a cab now. Where is your husband?"

"Andrey is getting a cab as well. Oh Natya no!" I grabbed the baby and stopped her from grabbing Bridget's nearby necklace.

"Oh it's alright! Inga did the same thing as a baby. Loved anything on string!" We both laughed and I shifted Natya to my other arm to keep her out of trouble.

"Oh here are the men!" Both Lars and Andrey came over looking tired.

"Well it looks like fate wants you two women to be together. Seems like we got apartments in the same area." Andrey patted my arm and picked up the suitcases.

"Apartments...Andrey is that what we have? Not a house?" A sinking feeling filled me. I had always wanted a large house like the one I was born in filled with children.  Then again I had to be happy for what we could afford. As long as it was home...

"Yes that's what we have...for now." By the look on Andrey's face I had hurt him and I felt terrible for it. I quickly pushed all girlish dreams aside,forced a smile and followed Andrey to the black automobile.

"Don't worry. All will be well." Bridget whispered with a smile as she passed me to follow her husband.

"Please God let it be so. " I whispered against Natya's small head of hair as we got into the automobile.

We passed people young and old,people with babies and pets others rushing somewhere or another. Far from the usual sight of dancers that I was used to.

"You will love it here Annika. I promise in time you will." Andrey smiled at me and I silently wondered how I had been so lucky to marry him.

America was going to promise to be a challenge I just had no clue how big of a challenge it would turn out to be.