Chapter 4: Need

A beam of sunlight made Kevin stir. He sat up in the warm bed and rubbed his eyes.
"That really wasn't a dream. I spent the night in Eddward's bed."
He grabbed his hat and glasses from the nightstand and put them on.

He quietly crept down the stairs and peeked into the living room. Double D was no where in sight. He tiptoed past the kitchen but stopped in his tracks when he felt himself being watched.

"Good morning."
"Er- Good morning Eddward..." He kept his gaze on the front door, not daring to look at Double D.
"Are you really planning on leaving without finishing this packet?"
"U-um n-no I was just going home to change clothes."
"Are you not comfortable with what you're wearing now? I may have something else that can fit you."
"Huh?"
"What does he mean?" Kevin looked down at his clothes. Instead of his usual green sweater and khaki slacks, he was wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of faded purple shorts.
"You undressed me?!"
"I had no choice. I don't particularly enjoy dirty clothes in my bed. I didn't see anything of interest if that is what you're concerned about."

Kevin felt himself blush at the thought of Double D pulling off his clothes. The sound of the raven haired boy clearing his throat snapped him out of his thoughts. He risked a glance into the kitchen. Double D was sipping from a mug while looking over the assignment from the day before.
"Something about him looks different..."
Double D sighed as he put the packet down and shifted his eyes towards the ginger's face.
"Do you plan on staring at me all day or are you going to come help me with this?"
"U-um I apologize Eddward!" He tucked his head towards his chest and stared at the ground as he walked towards the irritated boy.

"Maybe that kiss was just another dream. I must've fallen asleep working on the assignment last night."
Kevin cautiously pulled back the chair that was in front of Double D. He felt his soul being pierced by the raven's steady gaze.
"What are you doing?"
"Huh?"
Double D rolled his eyes and grabbed the chair next to him.
"Sit here. I don't feel like reading all of these questions out loud."
"Um okay." He quickly pushed his chair back to the table and sat in the one next to Double D. He snuck another glance at the tall boy. The morning sun gave his skin a deep yellow glow. His earrings glinted in the light as he tilted his head to study the packet. His dark hair seemed longer than usual. Near invisible wisps dotted his forehead. Black tresses fell past his ears and shoulders. He sipped more of his drink before his mouth returned to its usual downturned position. He put the mug down and used his good hand to push his glasses back onto his nose.
"Eddward wears glasses?"

"Do you stare at everyone like that? I can see why you don't have many friends."
"I-I apologize Eddward! I didn't realize that I was staring!"
"Apologies become meaningless when they are repeated within minutes of each other." His gaze didn't leave the paper as he took another sip out of his mug.
"U-uh I apo-"
In one quick motion Double D grabbed the edge of Kevin's seat and pulled it close to him.
"What did I just say?"
"I-I'm-"
"I'll give you something to be sorry about if you say anything even remotely similar to 'apologize' again. Got it?"
"U-um got it!"
"Good." He returned to the paper in front of him.

Kevin began to blush at the realization of how close he was to Double D. Their chairs had practically combined with each other.
"Why did he move me so close to him?"
Double D's long fingers appeared in front of his face. They snapped a few times before getting Kevin's attention.
"Stop wasting my time. You're supposed to be one of the smartest in the class yet you have the attention span of a potato."
"I'm s-" He was cut off by Double D's sharp glare.
He wrapped his arms around himself and tucked his head down.
"He's quite scary in the morning."

They worked for a few minutes before Double D abruptly stopped and walked towards the refrigerator. He pulled out a few ingredients and began cooking.
"What's the next question?"
"Um... The pituitary gland is part of what system?"
"Endocrine. Next."
Kevin flipped over the page and began to blush. He quickly scribbled answers down without saying a word.
"Are you spacing out again? What's the next question?"
"I-I can fill out the rest while you cook Eddward."
Double D peered over his glasses at the boy sitting across the room from him. "What is the next question."
"Umm..."
Double D let out an annoyed sigh and walked towards Kevin. He grabbed the paper and glanced over it.
"Are you afraid of talking about sex organs or something?" He tossed the paper on the table and went back to his cooking. "Phallus. Next question"
**************************************

Double D held a plate in front of Kevin's blushing face.
"A-ah th-thank you Eddward." He nervously took it and placed it in front of him. It was stacked high with pancakes, fruit, bacon, and eggs. He felt his stomach growl at the sight of the food before him. He waited for Double D to sit down before eating.

They ate in silence for a few minutes before Double D placed his fork on his plate. He quietly watched Kevin devour the last of his meal. He gave a little smirk before reaching down into his bag and pulling out an envelope. He weighed the possible outcomes of his action before sliding it in front of the ginger's plate.
"Hm? What's this?" Kevin swallowed the pineapple he was eating and picked up the rectangular piece of paper. He opened it and pulled out a stack of money.
"What is this Eddward?"
Double D sighed and leaned back in his chair.
"That's your half of the winnings. It should be about seven hundred dollars in there."

"It really happened... He really did kiss me last night."
"Eddward... I can't accept this."
"Why not?"
"Because I..."
Double D watched Kevin's freckles disappear from his cheeks.
"I shouldn't be rewarded for doing something I've wanted to do for years."

Kevin risked a glance at Double D. He was fully expecting to be met with a glare or scowl. Instead, a small, almost imperceivable look of satisfaction touched Double D's lips.
"What do you mean you've wanted to do that for years?"
"I-I-I"
"Are you trying to tell me that you're interested in me?"
"Um..."
Kevin was suddenly aware of how close they were sitting to each other. He inched to the edge of his chair and stared at the table.
"Answer me Loser."
"I am." Kevin's voice was barely above a whisper.

Double D calmly took another sip from his mug.
"Hm. Interesting." He pushed his plate aside and grabbed the packet. He began quietly answering questions.
Kevin cautiously watched the raven haired boy.
"'Interesting?' Is that all he is going to say?"
A few minutes passed by before Double D let out an annoyed groan and dropped his pencil on the table. He grabbed Kevin and walked towards the back door.
"Where are we going Eddward?"
"I need a smoke."

Double D eyed Kevin's small frame before lighting his cigarette and walking into his yard.
"We can take a break from that shit for brain's busywork for a while. It's really starting to irritate me." He took a long drag and held it for a few seconds before letting it out.
"Smoking isn't healthy for you Eddward."
"Are you suggesting I stop?"
"I-I would h-hate for you to-"
He was cut off by Double D pinning him to a nearby tree. He flinched and held his hands up in defense. He waited a few seconds before peeking at the boy in front of him. A devilish grin flashed across Double D's face. He blinked a few times but only saw the slight frown that the tall boy usually wore.
"Was that just my imagination?"
"E-Eddward..."
"You almost stepped on that garden snake. I'd rather not have to open the first aid kit again."
"O-oh thank you, I guess." He shifted his gaze to the ground. A light green snake quickly slithered away from where they were standing.

Double D loosened his grip on Kevin. He lingered in front of him for a second longer before continuing his walk. He leaned against his fence and took one last drag before putting the cigarette out. Kevin shyly sat in the grass next to him. He glanced down at the small boy sitting by his side. He studied the way his body moved in his old clothing. The white shirt gripped his frame and showed off the small muscles that he usually hid under his sweater. His old purple shorts hugged his thighs before slacking at his knees.
He felt another grin form on his lips.
"I need him."