Chapter 1.

Camila's POV

It had all been so much fun from the start. It had been easy for me to be all hyped up in a group, finally being recognized and encouraged to do things only they did. Grins were wider than lips tugged above eyelids, laughter rose above all other noise in the room, and the cheering and dancing made me feel like I finally belonged somewhere. I knew that it was all a mistake since the very first time Dinah mentioned it.

And right now, I was suffering the consequences.

I couldn't believe my eyes, I didn't want to turn away either. I have never seen anything so blood curling in my entire life, not even in my many worst nightmares. Though this was different. I couldn't depend on waking up the next morning, laughing at myself for fearing something that couldn't hurt me when being inside my head. This was real.

The adrenaline flew through my veins like a carp through a violent river. I couldn't move a single muscle, and I certainly couldn't depend on screaming. The absolute horror completely paralyzed me, and the more I thought about running away, or simply moving a bit, the more I felt discouraged and utterly terrified.

With shaky hands, I grip onto the bark of the skin cutting trees behind me, taking all of the courage throughout my whole body to take a single step forward, feeling my eyes water as I spot the shadow of that--that thing.

I could see it's snow white fur blow slightly against the soft Miami air, large paws in front of it as if it were about to lunge at something. I try to hold my breath, hearing the enormous beast growl, the sound sending chills over my arms and legs.

I was afraid the wolf like creature would hear how fast and loud my heart felt against my chest as I hid behind the large palm tree, only a couple of feet away from that it. Leaves crunch beneath its monstrous feet, the large animal snarling every few seconds after sniffing the air.

I'm surprised when the wolf-creature lets out a soft whine, spinning in a circle as if it were desperately looking for something. The sound only makes me tremble and I take step back, cowardly.

It was looking for me.

I can feel this strange tickling sensation over the top of my foot and I bite my lip from letting out any sound as I look down at my feet to see my flats planted over a large ant hill. The ants flow around my feet like water at first, but in minutes, they were splashing over my shoes and heading towards my knee socks. I bite my lip, thinking these ants had to be the product of some evil genetic engineering genius.

I feel a certain spot right under my knee sting so hard, I grip onto the wood until I feel my skin bleed, a small yelp escaping my lips, unfortunately. I feel my heart sink and my eyes widen as the wolf's head whirls around quickly, its greenish, golden eyes meeting with my fear-filled brown ones.

The wolf lets out an almost quiet growl as soon as it sees movement, taking a powerful step forward until its right in front of my tree. I back away with a loud gasp, cursing slightly as my foot comes into contact with a very strong branch over the dry soil.

I feel my heart hammer loudly inside my chest as the great beast hovers my smaller body, teeth flared into a growl, its snout coated with wetness and eyes the most beautiful color I'd ever seen. It was a very rare shade that almost calmed me down as I stared into them, lost within the emerald color around the iris, and a bright golden color that flashed with its dilated pupil.

 It was a very rare shade that almost calmed me down as I stared into them, lost within the emerald color around the iris, and a bright golden color that flashed with its dilated pupil