"But, your son might be a murderer." Gibbs said it and let it hang in the room, as Tony stopped dead to look at him.

"I don't believe he did, I can't believe it! He's Maria's son as much as mine, she would never have let him join the family business."

"You don't know what happened to him in his life." Gibbs argued.

"If I were a murderer, would you disown me dad? Or would you stand by my side and support me?" Tony smirked as he knew this was exactly what Gibbs had just done.

"It's not the same, I've known you for years, I'm your father."

Tony nodded, "And I am Tonio's and it's about time I acted like it, he needs family dad, and I'm not going to let him down again."

He looked towards Tonio's room as an orderly pushing a bed, walked out of the elevator heading for his room.

He stood without thinking and headed towards his son.

"I'll call McGee and David, get them working on the Macaluso angle. Take your time son." He said as Tony walked on.

"What about the bail conditions?" Tony asked, worried, Sacks would only need one reason to haul him in again.

"You're on the 8th floor, you planning on jumping?" Gibbs asked with a smirk.

Tony shook his head, "Nope."

"Good, I'll be outside the door." Gibbs turned his back to make the call as Tony walked into the room.

Tonio was still unconscious as the orderly hooked him back up to the equipment and got him settled.

"How is he?" Tony asked.

"Tests went well, his doctor will be down in about half an hour with some information for you. He's lightly sedated so if he wakes try to keep him resting, he's got a catheter in so he won't need to use the bathroom."

Tony nodded, "Thanks."

As the orderly left, he moved and sat beside the bed, staring at the son he hadn't known existed. He found himself holding his hand and brushing a stray hair away from his face.

"He's beautiful Maria." He whispered, "I wish I had known." He closed his eyes as if in prayer wishing she were here to hear him. "I never loved anyone the way I loved you, I never will." He vowed softly to her.

Tonio groaned slightly and shifted.

"It's ok son, I'm here." Tony stroked his forehead and marvelled as Tonio relaxed under his father's touch.

He was surprised, it had been less than three hours and he had gone from the fake, frat boy image he usually portrayed, to a father in what seemed to him as a blink of an eye. He now understood the worry that Gibbs felt when he did something dangerous, his gut worried for his son. Was he a murderer? Had the lack of having his father in his life led him down a path where they would be separated again by jail? Was this his fault?

Tony sat back and ran his hands through his hair. But he looked over at his son again and marvelled, this was his child, a part of him and he needed to protect him. He was amazed at the feelings of love and protection he had for someone he had had no idea existed. He had thought that to be a parent you had to allow feelings like this to grow, he'd never felt like this with his father... Well, not since he'd met Gibbs. From that point his father had seemed different. But the emotion he felt for Tonio was so intense that it hurt. He would be there for his boy, he would find the answers they both sought and hoped that his son wouldn't hate him for not being there for him before now.

McGee sat at his desk trying to find out anything that would help Gibbs with getting Tony out of trouble with the FBI when his phone rang.

"McGee." He said as he picked it up.