Chapter 24: Afternoon Light

Start from the beginning

The Duchess did not give an inch as he kissed her cheek in greeting. "You don't look sorry. In fact you look just fine, and you smell like. . . " she paused frowning. "Jasmine."

"And apples," Verushka's eyes narrowed catching the familiar scent of an orchard dusted in icing sugar. If she could have breathed fire she would have. The inconsiderate lout was eating her apple pie instead of teaching her to dance! If she was Mina, just the first indiscretion would have been enough to warrant death by spatula, or whisk if Liara had anything to do with it.

Cain cringed at the sight of two rather unimpressed women whose anger was aimed in his direction. "Now, now, I am sorry. Really I am." He allowed contrition to fill his tone. "Please, I would like nothing better than to help our young maid here to learn to dance. Mother, I am sure that you are very busy. Isn't the Riverstone ball tonight? Perhaps you would like to go and prepare for that?" He moved to Verushka's side taking her waist in the first position for the waltz. "We won't keep you."

Ver's heart jumped up into her throat as the Duchess rolled her eyes in an un-ladylike manner. "My dearest son, I would not trust you alone with a nun, let alone a maid in my household." She took a seat at the instrument and began the first strains of a minuet. "Let me see how she moves and then you can begin teaching her the steps. As much as I would like to while away my day in an empty ballroom I unfortunately have other things to do as soon as we are done here. But have no fear, I will send in Sarah to play for you both until I return."

Cain knew when to keep silent and held out his palm to Verushka with a quiet smile. When she gave him her hand he placed it a top his shoulder and relished in the warmth of her heat seeping through the finely stitched material. Ever conscious of his mother a few feet away he kept the appropriate amount of distance between their bodies and curtly advised, "Just follow me."

Verushka's movements were rigid and unpractised, and resulted in more than his toes trodden on. It was hard to concentrate when so much was expected of her and so many things were foreign to her senses. The Duchess's approval was still to be gained, the expansive surroundings of gold confused her and the maddening smell of apples and jasmine teased at her nostrils until she tripped. Cain caught her against his chest and the firm strength of his body beneath his layered coat surprised her. She had felt the touch of his lips before and even seen him bare as the day he was born but it was quite another matter to touch sculpted muscle that she knew to be gold dusted in the fragile morning light. Her fingertips could make out the hardened grooves defining the planes of his torso like cement poured between the bricks of the pantry alcove. With questing palms she had to admit that the heat he emanated was also not unlike her blessed bread oven. She raised her eyes to meet his and realised the music had stopped.

Cain stared into her now self-conscious grey eyes with carefully reigned passion. He steeled himself against the desire to dip his head low and seize her lips with his. Instead, he called upon years of training and righted her position, once again resting her palm on his shoulder and waited for the music to resume without giving their pianist the satisfaction of a glance. When he had sufficiently placed enough distance between his partner and the corner of the room where their audience resided he whispered against the slope of Verushka's ear. "Forget about the music or the anticipation of the next step. Follow me, I would not lead you astray."

Verushka felt the warmth of his breath waft against her neck like a summer breeze. He wanted her to follow? She would follow him anywhere. Well, perhaps not, but in the moment she could hardly be expected to think clearly.

"1...2...3" Cain counted out loud but so only his partner could hear, completely disregarding the ordered steps of the minuet. On the third count he spun her in a circle with an arm about her waist. Verushka leaned back into the movement before he collected her once more to the standard position. "1...2...3," again he counted and again she spun. Over and over the pattern repeated until Ver began to feel safe in the motions and even the music seemed to swell and fall with each twirl until she could only feel herself being turned like the hands of the clock she had watched, waiting for Cain to arrive. She arched her back and clung to the starched linen of his coat as their bodies rushed through the air when a laugh bubbled up from her throat. She giggled with child-like joy as they came to a stop and she met his playful grin with her own. Somehow he had managed to make her forget where they were as she swirled like an untethered kite.