There Aint a Thing That you Can do That's gonna ruin my night

Mike's point of view

The interview ended about 20 minutes ago and we've all been talking about random things. Alex mentioned that one of her favorite movie series is Star Wars, and Tony came right out of his shell and talked about just about everything that has to do with Star Wars until they both ran out of ideas of what to say about the topic. "Wanna go grab a bite to eat? I'm pretty hungry." I say as I rub my stomach that is growling in sadness because it misses food. Erin bit her lip and her whole body shook a little as she looked at the floor nodding. " umm what did you have in mind? I was thinking we could go get..." Alex starts when she looks at Vic and they both smile. I know exactly where this is going. "TACOS!!" They both yell and I'm already half way out of the door with my keys. " well hurry up then, tacos are more important than grabbing things that we will be back for in a little bit anyway." I laugh and walk to the end of the hall way. There's one thing that I've been thinking about this whole time about Alex. Why does she slightly look like me and Vic? Did mama and papa decide to keep her away from us after all these years and she's actually our younger sister? Probably not especially since they always talk about how they wish they could have had a daughter so me and Vic could be like the protective big brothers from our school when we were little. Maybe it's just a coincidence because there are a lot of people who look just like random people that aren't even related to them in any way. I'm ripped out of my thoughts by the laughter of our group walking down the hallway. "What were you thinking about Mr. Drummer Boy?" Alex whispers in my ear and smiles. No mike she isn't related to you because you would know mama and papa would have told you. Or Vic would have told you. Some one would have told you okay? So get your shit together. "nothing much really just the fact that you know pretty much everything about the four of us and we know almost nothing about you." She blushes and frowns, eyes wide and pained as she walks over to erin and leans on her shoulder. Was that really a face of fear that I just saw? I have to stop being too forward and let her tell us what she wants to tell us. No forcing anything out. "I don't know about you guys but I just want one thing right now." Erin smirks staring blankly at the ground while we walk through the parking lot.
"And that would be?" Does curiosity really kill a cat? I mean satisfaction brought him back so maybe this won't be bad to hear.
"SHOTGUN BITCHES GET THE FUCK OUT DA WAY" Erin screams as she runs to the car. Great. Curiosity killed mike the drummer. Alright satisfaction, time to find a way to bring me back. "Ok then Jaime your driving because I don't want to sit with her in front." I say to Jaime knowing that Erin won't hear me since she's at least 15 feet away from us sitting on the hood of my car. "Well that's harsh. Ok then I'll be taking the keys please." Jaime and his damn dimples. Erin loves them more than any other girl that spends any time with us. She's practically obsessed with Jaime entirely. I hand hime the keys and walk towards Alex who is walking away from the rest of us. "Are you okay lex? You just dodged me earlier when I told you what I was thinking about and now you seem really depressed." She weakly smiles and nods. "I'm just thinking about something"
"Wanna tell me what you're thinking about?" She sighs and looks straight into my eyes and I realize that we stopped walking already. I look deep into her eyes and see many things. Sadness, anger, pain, and emptiness. She went through a lot in the past and is still going through something. "It's okay you don't have to. I understand now." I say sadly. Unfortunately I understand enough to know that she really shouldn't be pressured to say any of it. "No, I trust you." Wow. I can't believe she just said that, but I'll make sure she doesn't regret it. "My mom used to abuse me and make me do things I didn't want to do that got me in trouble with teachers at school or our neighbors when it had to do with them. I never met my father and my mom always said that he was to childish to be a father in the first place so she left him while she was pregnant with me. When I was 8 I finally had enough and told her that I would rather be with the father I never knew than with her because I hated her. After that she took me to the orphanage and I've lived there ever since. Even when I wasn't too different from the others and still new there, I would get bullied by the other kids there and a lot of them used me as their fighting toy. They hit me all the time and almost broke a couple of my bones and they still hit me and bully me about being different. Erin's mom pulled both of us out of school for a while during freshmen year and homeschooled us so that I didn't have to deal with the other kids and so that I could spend more time each day with them along with getting an actual education. After freshmen year we both went back to school and were ahead of everyone else so we got to skip a grade. Things got better at school for both of us and over all Erin's life has been turning out great but my life is getting worse at the orphanage and everything. I have to go back to the orphanage in a few days and I won't be able to see Erin except for at school for a long time because she managed to get me out of the orphanage for a little over a week to stay with her and her family. And to do this, to meet you guys." We're almost to the car and the guys are yelling at us but me and Alex are both on the verge of tears. I pull her into a tight hug resting my chin on the top of her head and letting out a few tears. This beautiful and sweet girl doesn't deserve any of this "I'm so sorry you've had to deal with all of this." She snuggles further into my chest and wipes away the tears on her face. "You wouldn't be able to do anything about it. It's okay, don't be sorry." We fall into silence again for almost a minute before the thought dawns on me. Has she self harmed because of everything she's been going through? "I'm really really sorry lex, but... Can I please see your wrists?" I ask very softly and as sweet as I can She looks at me and starts to cry even more and a lot harder this time as she nods. Oh poor thing she was brought to harm herself to get away from it all. She pulls up her sleeves and both her wrists are covered in nothing but scars all the way up to her inner elbow. There are new cuts woven through out all the old ones, there are so many that she must have been doing this everyday for years. I start to cry as I gently kiss all of the scars that I see on each arm. "It's gonna be okay. You'll get through this, your strong enough to get through it all." She smiles big and cries into my chest when I wrap my arms around her waist. "I'll carry you the rest of the way to the car okay?" She nods and I carry her bridal style to the car full of angry Mexicans and the fan girling Erin. Jaime and Erin sit up front, tony and Vic sit in the 2nd row and me and Alex sit in the back with a movie playing from earlier when Tony was back here. As you can probably guess, it was Star Wars. I don't really know which one it is because I'm not paying attention. I'm thinking about Alex and how hard her life is for her. Alex isn't paying attention either because she's leaning against me just staring at the back of Vic's seat quietly humming something. I realize what she's humming just as we pull up to a small taco shop. Alex is humming A Trophy Father's Trophy Son by Sleeping With Sirens. That makes me a little more sad because she said she never met her father. (They eat their tacos and talk about tacos and why they love tacos and Jaime calls Alex a taco and his new nick name for her is taco and yeah.. Tacos)
What am I gonna do? We all love this girl but she can't do much outside of the orphanage. That's when it hits me. One of us can adopt her! then we all get to see her whenever we want, and she gets out of that place. "Well ladies it has been a lovely evening but unfortunately we have a live interview tomorrow morning so our manager would kill us if we're late to that." Jaime tries to hide the pouty side of him but it fails miserably. "Well we have to go to. My mom would kill me if I just drag her around everywhere." Erin said frowning. I know what's on her mind. She doesn't want to have to take Alex back to the orphanage on Monday. But we still have tomorrow and the weekend to spend with her... For right now. We all say our good byes and start to walk away from each other until I see Alex giving me a small sad smile. I can't do this, I have to seal my deal. "Wait Alex!" I run up to her and Erin gives us room to talk in a some what private way. "I know you're gonna have to go back to the orphanage and the headmaster or whatever the hell you call it is a bitch and hardly let's you leave apart from school. But since you don't have to go back yet.... We should hang out the next couple of days.. You know. Get to know each other better." I smiled and she started to laugh, probably because I look like an idiot with how big my smile is. "I'd really like that." She smiles back at me and I feel successful. "Great. Well can I get your number? Y'know so I can text you the address of where we'll be tomorrow." I'm a terrible lier and I'm sure she knows it. "Yeah. Oh and by the way you don't have to make up an excuse just to get my number you tall ass giraffe man." We both laugh and she writes her number on my arm with a sharpie. Where she got the sharpie from I have no idea all I know is it was random as hell to just all of sudden pull a sharpie out from God knows where. "Well then I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow milady?" "Maybe. Just text me after your interview in the morning and I'll probably have my answer by then." She winked.. I'm taking that as a yes anyway. "Alright I will. I'll see ya later lex"
"Bye giraffe man" we both laugh again at the absurd name. Giraffe man.. I'm not even that tall! Well actually, I am pretty much a giant to her considering she's just a little shorter than Vic. Either way she is adorable.
As soon as got back to the bus I was bombarded with questions. Oh yeah this is EXACTLY what I want to deal with right now. "What did you talk about?" "Did you ask her out?!!" "Why was she crying into your chest earlier?" "Did you get her number?" "TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON!!" Before I could even answer 1 question they were throwing more my way. " 1. We just talked about why she has to leave on Monday, 2. No I didn't ask her out! 3. It's not exactly my business to be discussing with you about why she was crying. 4. Yes I did get her number. And 5. You'll have to be quiet and let me explain." They all were almost shocked at my answers but it didn't matter. "So... Why does she have to leave to leave on Monday? Where is she going?" Tony seemed a little hurt by everything I was saying. He likes her. A lot. Now I feel bad, but now is my chance to tell them about my idea with the adoption. "Well that's part of the reason why she was crying earlier, and I had a really great idea but she doesn't know about it yet because we're going to surprise her. Alex is an orphan she's lived in the orphanage since she was 8 and it's been hell for her. One of us is going to adopt her. Does that sound like a good idea?" As soon as I said the word orphan their eyes shot wide with shock and sadness. We've seen what it can be like in an orphanage, we observed a couple last year when Vic wanted to adopt a kid but he never found the right one which killed him because there were so many kids that needed a home. After about 5 minutes of silence Jaime finally spoke. "I think I'm gonna be the one to adopt her. It'll be awesome." He smiled like an idiot but those few words got them all into an argument. "I'm gonna adopt her you're too childish and immature!" Damn Vic really wants to adopt her. He never calls Jaime immature because we all understand that the maturity level in this group is mutual, mature when we absolutely need to be and the rest of the time were goofing around like a bunch of 10 year olds. "Which ever one of you adopts her will be fine because she'll be living with me anyway!" Tony yelled and they all started screaming at each other. Great.
I pulled out my phone and typed in the number that is written on my arm. I save her contact as "Lex ❤️😎" and press call.
A-hello?
M- hey lex
A- hey giraffe man what's up?
M-well I can't really find a way to get to sleep so I figured I would call you,
("Shut the fuck up I already told you I'm the one that's gonna do it!")
A-Mike what's going on with the guys? Why is Vic screaming at them?
M- oh it's nothing. Wanna say hi?
A- yeah put me in speaker
I put the phone on speaker walking into the den area of the bus and tell Alex she can talk now."Hey guys you really need to shut the fuck up I can hear you as if you were standing right next to me! God damn I'm gone for less than hour and already you're trying to kill each other!" She screamed into the phone and I thought my ears were bleeding. "Oh hey Alex we were just playing a few rounds of GTA"
"Yeah ok whatever" I took her off speaker and went back to my bunk.
M- thanks for getting them to shut up
A- no problem if I was you I would have beat the crap out of them as soon as they started fighting
M- yeah sure you would
A- okay you got me there. So what are we gonna do tomorrow? Erin has softball practice so she won't be joining us.
M- okay but tomorrow's Friday, don't you have school?
A- I already have all of my work and I'm excused for the day
M- oh ok. Well we can all just hang out and do anything that comes to mind I guess
A- okay that's cool *yawns* well I'm gonna go to bed because it's been an eventful day. Good night tall ass giraffe man
M- haha good night shorty
A-hey! At least I'm taller than Vic!... Oh.. Well I used to be taller than Vic!!
M- ok ok don't kill me just get some sleep
A- okay good night Mike
M- good night lex
And with that I hung up and fell asleep with a huge, dorky smile on my face.