Chapter Eleven: Eve

Catharine was sick of Eve, but the men weren't and that included Nicholas. She dazzled them with her tarot readings, spells and with access to the demon's blood, she even created and recorded new potions.

Eve was beautiful, intelligent, poised and a bitch.

No one else saw what Catharine knew. Eve had full control, given to her by Desmond and though she was still human she controlled everyone of them.

A shift happened the moment he declared that Eve's word was his word; both of them in control. Daniel and Nicholas neither questioned nor protested.

Though neither did Catharine, but that didn't stop Eve from aggravating her.

"Why is she still human anyway?" Catharine raved sitting on her bed, Nicholas at the window watching her move her arms frantically as she complained. "I just don't get it. Does Desmond not want to see her as a monster?"

Nicholas had shaken his head and then peered out the window as if not wanting to look at her as he said, "Her blood smells amazing."

It felt as if her heart stopped and then dropped into her stomach. She knew why he wanted to look away, he knew how she was going to feel. Of course, her blood smelt divine, because Catharine's essence smelt like a rotting corpse. She moaned as she dropped her head into her legs. "Kill me please!" she playfully begged, but joking didn't make her feel any better.

"Just stay cool," he told her.

She got up off the bed and walked over to the window. She stared out at the night sky with him. "I feel like I'm losing it. She leaves her clothes everywhere, her dishes, books, I feel like a slave."

He stood up from his seat and pulled her face to him. "Look," he began, "You're the maid. Just do your job."

He relinquished her and just left leaving the door open behind him. She stood frozen watching him and knew in her heart that he lost the battle to keep himself human. Every time he had come back from a hunt with Desmond and Daniel he was different; darker. She was almost angry that she was now losing him.

Desmond and Nicholas both said they'd protect her and Daniel had to follow suit with his alpha, but she didn't feel safe anymore. She was beginning to wonder where was safer, living among the demons or the humans.

Her fingers smoothed over her jean pocket feeling over the boxed bump in her pocket. No longer was it just a reminder of humanity, but now of Xavier who lost his brother and sister to Desmond.

Her hope in him of ever coming had failed. His siblings had been dead for a while and had he been searching for them surely he'd have found them. Desmond didn't hide the fact his pack were selling his pills. They flashed their horns proudly, probably using it as a selling point, and everyone knew where to find them.

People were sick to be lining up to turn into monsters. Pouring money to destroy their city and others lives. Constantly there was always someone trying to prove themselves to be a part of the pack; to be a real creature of the night that bore the power and status of horns.

It was scary to think of Desmond adding any more to his pack though he hadn't yet and was taking his time with Eve (even if it was to just lavish over her perfumed blood that she'd lose once she was turned).

The time was rolling around to when Eve would arrive home after her studies. She took various classes, none of which anyone would have a job in after college. She had no income and as far as everyone knew her rich widowed father footed her tuition and books. Now she had Desmond who spoiled her with gifts and dates.

Every time Desmond and Eve were together is was like some sick romance novel and she couldn't stomach it. Some of his best lines were, "You see right through my none existent soul" and her favorite, "I hunger for your love more than blood."