Fate Reloaded--Part I, Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

            “Hey guys,” Kip said energetically.

            “Kip, this is my best friend, Desi,” Jordana said. “Desi, this is my new friend, Kip.”

            “Awesome to meet you,” Kip said, giving Desi a high five.

            Desi raised her eyebrows and looked sideways at Jordana.

            “You too,” Desi said. “Well, I gotta jet. Good luck with the detective work kids.”

            Kip and Jordana watched as Desi disappeared into the school. Then, Kip turned to Jordana.

            “You told her about ‘Project Lame Robber?’” Kip asked her.

            “Of course. She’s my best friend,” Jordana said and walked toward their lockers. “We tell each other everything.”

            “OK,” Kip said reluctantly. “But make sure she doesn’t tell anyone else about it. Remember, loose lips sink ships.”

            “Where do you get this stuff?” Jordana said and laughed.

            Kip ignored her comment, and pulled a watch out of his backpack. “Here, this is for you,” he said, slipping it onto her wrist.

            The watch was black and plastic and looked like it had come from a Cracker Jack box.

            “Uh, thanks,” Jordana said, examining the watch. “I didn’t realize we were at the point of giving each other gifts yet.”

            “Don’t get too excited,” Kip answered. “This is purely work related.”

            “Huh?”

            “Well, I thought it would be best to tape all of our interrogations, but thought it would probably be a little too obvious, if we had tape recorders and stuff,” Kip explained. “So, I bought us these watches. See, it looks like an ordinary watch, but it’s really a recording device. Cool, huh?”

            Jordana just looked at him blankly. “You’re officially scaring me,” she said. “Where did you get this stuff? And how do you even know about spy stuff like this?”

            “Your dad’s a judge, mine is an ex-CIA agent,” Kip said, grinning.

            “OK,” Jordana said, surprised at the news, but suddenly understanding why Kip was so psyched to help her. “So, how does this thing work?”

            “Well, you just press this little button here to record. The mic will pick up just about anything in a 10-foot radius,” Kip said, pointing at the buttons. “To play back, you just push this button over here.”

            “Cool. Seems easy enough,” Jordana said, shrugging.

            “That’s not all,” Kip said, practically giddy with excitement. “Press this button and you can take digital pictures, which we can download onto your computer later.”

            “No way!” Jordana exclaimed as she examined the watch closer.

            “Yes way,” Kip answered, pleased at her reaction.

            “What’s this button right here?” she asked, pointing to a little red button on the left side of the faceplate.

            “Duh,” he said. “That’s the time-setter.”

            Jordana looked at him questioningly.

            “What were you expecting, a laser beam or something?” he asked.

            “Well, it’s got everything else,” Jordana answered, slamming her locker door and heading toward her first class.

            “So, I’ll start asking around and everything and then we’ll reconvene at your place after school,” Kip said.

            “Five by five, Goose,” Jordana said, her voice low.

            “What?” Kip asked and scratched his head.

            “Aren’t secret agents supposed to have nicknames and stuff? Like ‘the eagle has landed’ and all that stuff?” Jordana asked him.

            “Very funny,” Kip said and started to walk away from her.

            “See you after school, Goose!” Jordana yelled out after him and giggled as she walked away.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note from the author:

If you like Fate Reloaded, be sure to fan me, and then support your fellow Wattpadder by buying my other book, Life's a Witch, in paperback, or for the Kindle or Nook. Just go to amazon.com and search Life's a Witch...you could help make me the next  New York Times Best Seller!

Thanks for your support!

:)
Britt