Chapter Five - Eastbound & Down

Piper's POV

Honestly, one of my nicknames in middle and high school was Listy. Not very creative on their behalf, but it seemed to be easier for them to remember than Piper. If the nickname didn't give it away, I'm a list maker. It's one of the few ways I can feel like I have some control over a situation. So when something feels overwhelming I make a list. Regardless of the situation at hand.

Right now I'm staring at the list in my hand. It's rather lengthy and makes me tear up just a bit. There's a real good reason for that too. It's my packing list for college. I have held off until now. This is the very day I have my truck sitting outside, waiting to be eastbound and down, loaded up and trucking.

Let's see...

•Mini fridge

•Toaster & microwave

•Bed spread

•Bubbles (I like bubbles and sparkly things... those are a few of your favorite things!)

•Cootie spray... aka pink pepper spray YAY!!!!! BEST SPRAY EVER!!! (lol getting my Rapunzel on there lol)

•Laptop

•A small portion of my DVD collection (extra comfort)

•Suitcases jammed packed with every kind of clothes imaginable

The list goes on and on... and on... but I still feel like I'm forgetting something. When I glance around my bedroom I see it and a "duh, Piper" escapes my lips. My sewing machine. It's been an ever constant friend in times of need.

I place it in its box and grab my peacock printed sewing box and load them into my arms. I stumble down the stairs and then finally to my pickup easing them into the back seat. It's that moment when my feet apparently decide I've been upright long enough, and I trip over air. (cough just testing gravity... it seems to be working cough... It's all for you NASA... I'm saving you money) Then land in the cushy, lush grass. I end up just laying there, taking in the Portland, Oregon sky for the last time. Well... the last time for a while anyways.

The next thing I know, Mom and Dad are standing above me smiling. "Sleep well, Piper?" Dad has laughter in his voice. He helps me off the ground and I hug them both. I take everything in, and try as I might the tears still trickle down my cheeks. How come no one ever told me how hard this would be?!?

Begrudgingly, I finish loading up my truck, laughing, "I need a bigger truck." Before we finally part and I get on the road. I'm literally driving across the country to go to college. Did I make the worst choice in my life by choosing that school? My mind is racing a million miles a minute, and as I drive down the highway, I have to keep my foot off the gas as to not overwhelm it and speed. It'll take all week to get there. And to be honest... right now I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.