Chapter One - The "Secret" Garden

Piper's POV

I can't believe that this is the last summer before my freshman year of college. As strange as it sounds, it's like it's too real and all at the same time, it's as if it was some crazy realistic dream. I have to make what little is left of this summer count.

I'm in one of my moods where I'm walking along, listening to music through my rosebud earbuds, and thinking. Maybe thinking more than anything. There's this place called the Secret Garden here in Portland, Oregon that is absolutely breathtaking. It's always been my secret little getaway spot to run to and pray and just let everything out. I've always dreamed of bringing my guitar here someday, but I don't dare. Someone might hear me.

So many changes are up ahead. It could be overwhelming. If I let it. And I told myself I wasn't going to let it get me. That's probably why I'm here. This place tends to clear my thoughts. "Jesus.... please help me in this season ahead.... I.... I'm sort of scared." I admitted. I continued to pray and then ended with a whispered "Amen."

Begrudgingly, I made my way out of the garden tugging on my sleeves of my teal sweatshirt with a white music note on the front. My skirt sort of matches both my rose earbuds and my shirt. It's white with music notes and roses, I'm also wearing some of my favorite footwear. Boots. Yes.... I have an ... em.... unique style.

I decide I really should slip my headphones off. Take in the world around me. After all today is pretty and sunny. Those kind of days are pretty rare here in the Pacific Northwest. I put the headphones in my hoodie pocket and can't help but smile. There are birds flitting all around me singing their songs of praise to God. Oh to feel that free. To feel like nothing could hold me back from worshipping the Creator with everything I am.

In the otherwise quiet garden a peculiar sound breaks through. I've never, in all the many times that I have been here throughout my whole life. It's the sound of someone else here. And not just a person, but a whole band. There is music, with guitar and several other instruments. Four male voices are singing in turn, then in perfect harmony when they reach the chorus.

Before my mind can fully comprehend, my feet are taking me in the direction of the music. Because it feels like the music in me that I have longed to hear.