We Wait

It wasn't hard to find Ward, he was just walking onto the bus from the landing pad.

He standing beside Lola, admiring the shininess of it as the ramp closed. He didn't hear us approach because of the cranking sound of the ramp, but when it stopped Skye called his name, causing him to turn around in surprise. He was relieved when he saw it was just us.

"Oh, hey Skye," he said. He nodded to me. "Glowstick." I narrowed my eyes at him and Skye slightly giggled.

"We need your help," she said.

"With what?"

"What do you think?," she said sarcastically. "Did you forget shooting someone 2 days ago?"

"No," he said calmly. "I'm just curious as to what you need my help with."

"Advice, mostly," I piped up. 

"You want my advice?" He said a bit shocked.

"Unfortunately," I said expressionless

Skye handed him the file. "There's a lot. She can explain."

"I'm going to have to sit down then," I said, turning around and walking back further into the bus. Skye looked at Ward and shrugged.

~•~

Ward sighed and set the file down in the table in front of the chair he was sitting on.
"That's complicated."

I leaned back on the couch and nodded.

"Matthews and Fields both know something. And as far as you can tell, they're associated in more ways than this right?", he said.

I nodded in agreement. "Most likely. Fields reaction when I mentioned him...it was enough to know I was right."

He clasped his hands together. "What if you tried plotting them against each other to get information?"

"What?," Skye questioned.

"Matthews isn't the type of guy to let weaknesses get in his way. If he was seriously in love with her, that's one way other people can get to him. She would be leverage. That's why I don't think he was serious. But she probably doesn't know that. The second she realizes that he used her, she'll give us everything in spite of him. Just like how she despises all index subjects just in spite of the one who killed her nephew," he concluded.

I chewed on my fingernail. "Interesting. That could work, if he does end up being her weakness. But what about Matthews? What's his weakness."

"Everyone has one," he replied.

What's yours? I wondered. Better question, what's mine? 

"This is all great," Skye said straightening up. "But it means nothing if we can't get in there to talk to him."

There was a moment of silence. Skye was just staring at Ward, and I was staring at both of them staring at each other.

"What?" Ward asked.

"Can you get in there?," she asked.

He scoffed. "Well, I mean I could but that doesn't mean I want to."

"Why not?," I butted in.

"Why should I have to call in a favor? It's not like I'm cleared for it," he replied.

"Right now Matthews is basically on the back burner. They're not paying attention," Skye said.

"You just don't want to," I said.