Typical Tuesday

That Tuesday really was typical. Nice sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. Winded from running down the driveway, I panted and jogged up to the barn. Spirit greeted me with a nicker. "Hey boy . Mom's probably asleep," I said glancing at the car in the garage. "How bout we go for a ride."

I saddled up and we were out the gate in no time. We took a nice trot under some trees to the field a little ways down the road. As we approached the entrance to the field I heard a branch snap. I looked up but didn't give it much thought. About halfway into the field I turned Spirit around to canter along the forest edge. I stopped to take a walk break and check my phone. 5:11. Still in good time.

I looked up to the tree that was about 20 yards away from me. Right beside it was a man in a black suit, like the ones you see in movies. I gasped and stopped Spirit short. "I-I I'm sorry, you just scared me," I stuttered. He didn't reply, just continued standing there with his hands clasped in front of him. "Can I help you?" I said.

"Hello Alex," he said. "My name is Agent Coulson. I'm sorry I startled you, but this was an ideal place to meet in order to not startle your parents as well."

I looked around. "H-How do you know my name. And Agent? Like FBI or CIA?", I asked. "Am I in trouble?"

"No, you are not it any kind of trouble," he said taking a step forward. I backed Spirit up a few steps. "I promise I'm not here to hurt you."

"Then why are you here?", I asked.

"We've been watching you Alex. We know all about you. We know about your eyes. About your ability. We know everything about you. We need you to do something for us.", he said.

I dismounted Spirit and let him graze. He wouldn't go far. I took a few steps closer to him to where I was only maybe 5 yards away. I studied him. He's hard to read, I thought. And how does he know about my eyes? I had been seeing it more and more often. To be honest it was getting a little freaky. And what ability? I have an ability. That's kinda cool. I crossed my arms and continued to study that blank expression on his face. He seemed confident. Definitely has a gun. Maybe he has back up.

"How do I know I can trust you?", I said.

"Because your horse's name is Spirit. You like to wear red flannel and boots. You go to art class at 4:00 every Monday. You're good at Algebra, but better at Physics. Your best friend's name is Katy. I know everything there is to know about you. I'm not a threat. I promise.", he said.

My eyes widened. Stalker much? I thought. "If I can trust you, then take out your gun and take the bullets out," I said. I bent one knee to look relaxed.

"Why do you think I have a gun?", he asked.

"Because your a man in a suit that either has a gun or a really confident ego," I said with a smirk. He reached in his coat and took a black pistol out. The bullets thudded as they hit the soil. He tossed the gun on top of them. "Happy?" He said.

Nope. Not yet.", I replied. "Tell your backup to come out of the woods."

"Look behind you," he said. I whirled around to see a big man in all black petting Spirit. Dang, I thought. They're one step ahead of me.

"You're smart. But not that smart.", he said smiling.

"Fine," I huffed. "Why do you want me so bad?"

"Because of what you just did. A normal person wouldn't have assumed I had backup. Or a gun," he said. "But you did."

That's it, I thought I'm getting out of here. I looked back at Spirit to see that man still standing there. I'm not fast, but I can be when I want to be. He can definitely outrun me though. What to do, what to do. I looked around.

"We need- ", he broke off. I ran for it. I sprinted towards an old tractor about 30 yards away. The man took off too, aiming for the other side to cut me off. I was smarter than that, though. I took a sharp turn and sprinted all out for the woods. He was gaining on me fast. I tripped over a rock and went tumbling down the slight hill. I picked myself up quick and kept running. He was almost to me. He tried to grab my shirt but tripped in the process, sending us both tumbling down together.

We ended up sprawled right next to each other. We scrambled up at the same time. I reached in my left riding boot and took out the pocket knife I always had with me. I flipped it out in front of me. He stood up heaving, but quit approaching.

"Ward!", Coulson yelled running up beside him. "Seriously?! After what we talked about?!"

"Sorry, sir.", he said dusting himself off. "I thought I was supposed to keep her here."

"Yeah, keep her here, not tackle her!", he yelled. He turned towards me. "There's really no need for that," he said gesturing at my knife.

"Two random people I don't know and one tackles me. Sure. No need", I said still standing my ground. "That was my favorite shirt", I grumbled looking down at my dirt stained clothes.

"I'm sorry about that. I think it's time I properly introduced myself. I am an Agent of SHIELD, the organization that helped end the alien invasion of New York."

"That was you? With the Avengers?",
I asked.

"Yes," he said. "We are in a predicament and we really need your help. Nothing complicated, but first we need to ask you a few questions. Just to confirm. We'll explain everything later.

I lowered my arm slowly. I actually started shaking a little. Who were these people really? Was it safe? What should I do?

Why today?