eighteen.

Jesse had never been more nervous than she was in that moment.
Standing outside the Potter's mansion, getting ready to knock on the door, she was nervous. Nervous that she would make a bad impression. Nervous that James had forgotten her, or somehow had grown to dislike her over the holidays. Nervous that Charlus and Dorea (James's parents) wouldn't like her.
She was almost ready to turn around when the door was flung open.
"Jesse!" James cried as he pulled her into a hug, spinning her around.
"James!" Jesse laughed, as he put her down and grabbed her bags.
"Come on, J! You can meet my parents." James chuckled, taking her inside, where two adults where sitting.
The man had messy black hair which was striped with grey, and glasses, looking a lot like James, except he had kind blue eyes.
The lady was also kind looking, and she had James's hazel eyes, but had wavy red hair, which also had stripes of grey in it.
"mum, dad, this is one of my best friends, Jesse." James gestured to Jesse, and his parents smiled warmly at her.
"and Jesse, this is my mum and dad." James gestured to his parents, and Jesse smiled back at his parents.
"Pleased to meet you." Jesse said politely.
"you too, Jesse." Dorea pulled Jesse into a hug.
"James talks a lot about you." Charlus ruffled his sons hair, before also hugging Jesse.
"Daaaaad." James whined.
"Jaaaaaames." Charlus mimicked.
.......
Jesse sat on James bed, scanning her eyes over his room as he had gone to find food.
The bed covers had a black and white pattern, and the walls were white, the curtains black. He had lots of Quidditch posters and Gryffindor banners on the wall, as well as lots of pictures of Jesse and the marauders, and also Jesse spotted one of James and Stevie.
Her favourite photo by far, though, was one of herself, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter.
It was a day when they went to sit down by the lake, and it was warm and sunny.
Jesse was wearing black shorts and her school shirt, with the sleeves rolled up her hair down and her feet bare. James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were all wearing black jeans with the bottoms rolled up slightly, and their shirt sleeves rolled up too, with their feet bare, like Jesse's.
They were all sat by a tree near the lake, Remus had his book out and was smiling at his friends, as Sirius had Peter in a headlock, ruffling his hair, both laughing happily, and James was poking Jesse, who kept turning and laughing at him.
They all looked so happy, that Jesse copied it, and stuck the copy in her pocket.
"Hey Jesse- oh. what are you looking at?" James asked as he walked in.
"Just this photo. I think it's my favourite." Jesse smiled.
"Well, anyway, get changed, we are going into town." James chuckled, as the two had changed into their pyjamas earlier in the afternoon.
Jesse nodded, grabbed some clothes, and skipped into the bathroom.
She put on a "pizza is my valentine" t shirt, black skirt, ripped tights, electric blue converse, bowler hat with ears, and a black cardigan, as it was getting colder later in the afternoon.
Jesse excited the bathroom and met James in the hall, who was wearing black jeans, black converse, and a red hoodie with a Quidditch shirt underneath.
"okay, let's go!" Jesse grinned.
"We are gonna meet Remus in town, as he's coming to stay tonight for a week before school, then Peter and Sirius are gonna come a couple of days after." James explained.
"okayyy. Sounds good." Jesse smiled.
....
The two walked into town, talking happily and occasionally racing each other to the next lamppost, the next car, the next telephone box.
Finally they reached the small town, and headed for the coffee shop, where they were meeting Remus.
They found him in the very back corner, reading a muggle newspaper, but as soon as he saw they he jumped up and hugged them both.
"Jesse! James! it's so good to see you guys!"
"it's good to see you too, Rem." Jesse hugged him again as James ruffled his hair.
The three friends chatted for ages until it started getting dark outside so they headed home.
....
Jesse stood outside James's bedroom door, about to get the boys for dinner, when she heard hushed voices talking.
"You've got to tell her, Remus."
"I know.. but what if she hates me?"
"She won't Remus, Jesse isn't like that."
"But.. I'm a monster."
"Remus..."
Jesse stepped in and raised her eyebrows at the boys.
"How much did you hear?" Remus asked, kind of scared.
"Well I've been here for a couple of minutes, so most of it I would think." Jesse said.
"uh.." Remus started freaking out a little inside.
"Seriously, Rem." Jesse started laughing slightly, "I know what you are, and I really don't care."
"h-how long have you known?"
"since about halfway through last year. Its kind of obvious Remus, you're one of my best friends, did you think I wouldn't notice how tired you got around full moon, and then disappeared on full moon and came back the next day covered in bruises and scratches, saying you 'fell out of a tree'"
"And, you don't h-hate me?"
"No, Remmy, I don't hate you, and I'm pretty sure a certain someone knows too, and she doesn't hate you either."
Remus blushed at that, and Jesse and James grinned at each other, before they both tackled Remus into a group hug.
Once they broke away from the hug, Jesse spoke up.
"Anywayyyyy. Dinners ready." She laughed and skipped off downstairs, to help Dorea serve the food.