The Turnabout Demon - Part Two

Start from the beginning

"Very well, your honour." Now with a fire in her eyes, Natalie felt ready to let loose the secrets she had long been compelled to keep hidden. Luke noticed her intent gaze and grinned a wide grin.

Before she began, Phoenix quickly checked over his notes. From the National Park they had obtained a piece of paper detailing all orders obtained and the date they had arrived. There was a schedule for the rangers, and finally a photo taken outside her office from a couple of tourists capturing an image of the ranger station. In the window on the right side, behind a grinning family, Natalie could just be seen with three men standing around her. Other items could be seen, but a particular reflective one is what Phoenix was relying on now. Straightening the evidence, Phoenix nodded to himself and glanced over Natalie's way. Seeing the attorney now giving her his full attention, she coughed and then began.

"It was two weeks ago, on a Friday. I was sitting in my office as usual, pouring over paperwork. We were expecting a shipment of fauna and fruit in for the next month. There was a knock on my door and then that man entered," with a curt nod of her head over at Costillos, the court could clearly see her contempt for the man, not even glancing his way. "Claiming it was time to give up the park. When I refused, his men pulled out guns and I knew then I was helpless but to sign over the park."

Noting that Miss Parker had finished, the judge nodded stiffly and glanced over at Phoenix.

"Mr. Wright, you may now begin the cross-examination."

Phoenix returned the nod, a smirk on his face.

"Alright, Miss Parker. You say you were expecting a shipment of fauna. Was that on the day?"

"Um, yes I believe so. It was supposed to come that morning. Then the Auriolus brutes arrived and shortly after, the package."

"Alright." Nothing out of the ordinary, Phoenix moved onto the next statement of note. "So you claim the Auriolus men drew guns at you? Did Mr. Monriel do so as well?"

Natalie blew out air through her teeth and shook her head slightly.

"No, just his two lackeys."

From his spot in the left corner, Costillos spoke out yet again.

"Lies. All of it. She has no proof we drew weapons on her. Foolish woman."

With a bash of his gavel, the judge silenced Costillos and then turned his attention back to Natalie.

"This is a serious accusation," he shivered. "Are you indeed telling the truth?"

"I am. Your honour," she added, remembering to be courteous. She was determined to be phot

"I'm afraid," muttered the judge, "that without proof, there is no way to support your claim."

"Hold it!" erupted Phoenix, startling the old man. "That's not quite true, your honour." Glancing down at the small pile of evidence for this particular witness, he pulled out the photo and addressed the court once more.

"This is a photo taken by a family just outside of the ranger's station. At the time the Auriolus men were in Miss Parker's office, no less."

Handing the photo over to the judge, the elderly man struggled to notice what was out of order, squinting his eyes until Phoenix directed him to the right hand window where Natalie's office was situated.

"Ah," he mumbled, adjusting imaginary glasses. "I see, you can see three men surrounding Miss Parker. However..." putting the photo down, he sighed. "It does not prove that these men had guns, nor that they are men from Auriolus."

Phoenix found himself casting his eyes over to Costillos, who met him with a snug grin. He suppressed a gulp, and then returned with an equally smug grin.