No Pulse

When Dax woke up the next morning and went down to make tea and breakfast Aleia was in the kitchen, "Sleep well?" She asked looking up to him. From the look on his face it looked like she startled him and it made her laugh a little bit. No doubt he wasn't used to someone being up and in the kitchen when he came in.

"Except for a mild interruption, I slept perfectly well." Dax poured several cups of tea. "How did you sleep, Mistress Aleia? I know it is selfish but I was rather glad it was you Derrik woke up instead of me. It made for a nice change."

Aleia smiled, "It wasn't that selfish of you. I'm just glad he was able to sleep after that. To be honest though, I didn't actually sleep at all. I never can before a battle. So instead I went over attacks and defenses in my head."

Dax dumped a cup of tea down the drain, "In that case, its green tea for you this morning." He said as he filled her cup with a different liquid.

Derrik walked into the kitchen, his hair was tousled from sleep and he had a pillow case crease on his left cheek. "Morning," he mumbled as he picked up Aleia's cup of tea. He finished it in one swallow. His eyes widened in surprise, he coughed slightly. "Dax, since when do you serve green tea for breakfast?"

"That was Mistress Aleia's tea, sir. She didn't sleep well and needed the boost."

"Oh. Well, make her another cup, I'm going to go get some endurance tablets for all of us. That should take care of any sleep or focusing issues." He turned to Aleia. "Sorry I drank your tea. Guess I'm still not used to there being more then one cup on the counter. Guess I'm gonna have to start waking up more awake." He chuckled.

Aleia smiled, he was so cute in the morning. "It's ok, I bet that was quite a surprise for you." She stood and ran her fingers through his hair. "Drinking my tea that is."

Derrik grinned, " I would've enjoyed a kiss more." He hinted.

"Then come closer." She said as she leaned up and kissed him on the lips. She smiled up at him, "Does that make the green tea taste better?" She teased.

"Yup." Derrik smiled and kissed her agian. "It needed a little sugar." He winked at her and left the room to get the tablets. Today was the final day.

Aleia kissed him back then watched him go. She turned around and got her cup of tea off the table and took a sip. "Thank you Dax."
----
Derrik sighed as he watched the sun sink low in the sky. They had finished last details and ran two drill practices with the town. All children under the age of eighteen were safely locked inside Derrik's cave. Now that only had to wait until morning. Until Mehana's arrival and attack. And until the thwarted her and win the war.
----

Aleia went to check on the children, they were all so cute she had to admit. They were not like the children at the federation that was for sure. She quietly closed the door behind her before she went to the drawing room to sit down and just think about everything that would happen the next day. Would they make it? Would their plan succeed? Though she was sure that everyone was well prepared, she wondered how many lives would be lost in this battle. At least at the end of this the people would be free and not slaves or worse? That made her resolve stronger that no matter what, she would do anything necessary in order to save as many people as possible.

Derrik stood outside the drawing room. There was a heaviness to Aleia's thoughts. A darkness that he didn't like.
He entered the room. "You should be asleep." He softly said as he sat on the sofa and pulled her into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her, cuddling her close to him. He pressed a kiss to the top of her hair, "I love you, Aleia Girl, I love you." He whispered as he gently began stroking her back.

"I couldn't sleep." She admitted. She leaned her head against him, "I love you too Derrik. I want to make sure you know that." She said softly. "You're the best thing that has ever happened to me and I love you." She spoke softly.