Chapter Eight

Nidhi's POV

Randhir and I went to the orientation room and found Mason, Meera, Kate and Neel already seated there.

"Did you guys pass?" I asked Meera.

"Yes! How about you?" she asked.

"We passed too. Now I just hope the others will make it through." I said.

Just then, Jake, Nina, Joyce and Carter walked in and sat down next to us.

"We passed!" they said.

"Then hopefully we individually scored well so we can be one of the two finalists!" Mason said. The other teams walked in. Some looked dejected and some looked anxious.

The head of the competition began addressing us as Derek sir watched us from the stage.

"We have come down to two finalists from today's trust competitions. Finalist Number One is Nevada University of Business and Commerce!" he announced. The team stood up and hugged each other. Then they went up on stage and stood in a line.

"Finalist Number Two is...." He stretched it out. We crossed our fingers and prayed.

"OEHS!" He said and we jumped up and hugged each other. Then we went on stage, next to the NUBC group.

"These two teams will be competing tomorrow in the Final round of the 2016 Annual Dream Fest. I wish you all luck and better luck next time for all of those teams who got disqualified." he said and dismissed us. Derek sir came outside and spoke to us.

"Job well done team. Tomorrow's performance will be the most crucial and difficult task given to you. There could be life-threatening consequences involved if you don't follow the steps properly so please be very careful. We have made it this far, and I am sure we will make it through tomorrow." Derek sir said. Then he told us all to go take rest.

I was extremely nervous for tomorrow. Hopefully everything worked out, I thought as I pushed my sliding glasses up on my nose.

Randhir's POV

I went back to the hotel room in a jumbled mood. I wanted to make our school proud and win the fest but I knew it wouldn't be easy. And I was already distracted from the dance with Nidhi. Why was her presence affecting me so much? To distract myself, I opened up my laptop.

*One Unread Message From Nidhi Balasubramanian*

Why would this girl contact me now? I opened up her email and began to read it.

Dear Randhir,

When I first met you, we always clashed with our ideas and thoughts. Then you grew to become someone I admire. We shared many vulnerable moments together and what I said this morning was true. You are my friend. But I don't know if you will accept my friendship. Whenever you do, I'll be waiting.

From,

Nidhi

I felt a rush of happiness surge through me. Nidhi, Nidhi wanted to be my friend? I needed to go talk to her right now. I leaped up from the bed and left the room. I walked to the lobby and found here there. I walked towards her, a smile on my face. Then Kate stepped in front of me. Little did I know that this moment would change me.

"Randhir, I found this in Nidhi's bag. I think you might want to see this." she said, holding out an envelope. I opened it and my eyes widened.

No, It couldn't be!

Nidhi's POV

As I saw Randhir walking towards me, I had that gut feeling that he had read my email. I smiled back at him. Then Kate came forward and handed Randhir an envelope.

"Randhir, I found this in Nidhi's bag. I think you might want to see this." Kate said.

Oh no! If Randhir saw that, he would be heartbroken!

"Randhir, Randhir no. Don't open it. Please!" I said pleading with him.

His eyes widened in shock as he read the court order. "I was going to give it to you..." I said, faltering.

"How could you Nidhi?" he said, looking at me.

*Flashback to Yesterday*

After sending Randhir the email, I walked down to the lobby to buy a drink. I saw a confused bellboy with an envelope in his hand.

"Hey, do you need help?" I asked him.

"Are you from the Aspire team that is staying here in this hotel?" he asked me.

"Yes, why?" I asked, perplexed.

"This letter needs to urgently be delivered to Randhir Shekhawat. Could you give it to him? I have to go for some important work." he said.

"Don't worry. I will make sure he gets it." I said.

As I was walking to Randhir's room to deliver the envelope, a piece of paper flew out of it.

It read *Court Order*. That did not sound good.

I took the rest of the paper out. I knew it was bad manners to intrude but I needed to know if anything was happening to Randhir.

'This Court Order is to inform Randhir Shekhawat, son of Revathi and Veer Shekhawat that he must appear before the court to testify against his mother for the divorce of Mr. Veer Shekhawat and Ms. Revathi Sundaram.'

What? Randhir's parents were getting a divorce? Oh no, if Randhir came to know of this, then his performance would be affected in the competition tomorrow! I knew it was selfish of me to hide this from Randhir for the benefit of the team but I had no choice.

I took the letter back to my room and put it in my bag. I will give it to him after the final competition.

*End of Flashback*

"Please Randhir, Please listen to me..." I said, trying to plead with him.

"No. You, you betrayed me. Just like everyone else." He said. Then he ran outside.

I ran after him. He began kicking stools and plants that was in the entrance of the hotel.

"Randhir please calm down. I can understand-" He cut me off.

"What can you understand Nidhi? You can't understand. Nobody can understand my pain. Did you come home every day to fights? Did you have to choose between your mother and father? Do you even know how that feels?" he asked me. He sunk down to the marble floor, tears rolling down his cheek.

"Why Nidhi? Why is this just happening with me?" he asked me.

"Calm down Randhir. I am with you. I promise. I am so sorry." I said. He hugged me as we crouched down in the front of the fountain. I held him for the longest time as he cried, not caring that we were in public and that people were looking at us.

"Why do people pretend to care when they are really going to leave and go one day?" Randhir asked as his hold on me intensified.

"Randhir, it's ok to let go. And when you need to tell me something, I am here." I said, stroking his back. But then he withdrew from me angrily.

"No Nidhi. This is all a façade for you, simply a time pass. You will become close to me, and I will become dependent on you. Then you will leave me and go and I will break down again. No. Nothing can distract me now. So just leave me alone Ms. Nidhi Balasubramanian. I don't need your pity." Randhir said, walking away from me angrily.

I sat there on the marble floor, unmoving. I kept convincing myself that he was just angry. But a small part of me couldn't help but want to go back to him and reassure him. But I stood up and brushed myself off.

I couldn't afford to lose focus now. Tomorrow's victory would change many things for me. I could finally prove to Mama, Papa, the sexist guys from the other teams and society, that a girl is no less to a guy in any way and that a girl is more than just her external beauty.