Chapter 8

Week 1...

"Hey, Bucky, I'm being released in a week... Sharon, one of the nurses that was treating us, said it might help..." There was a pause. "Penny will be staying during the night with you. During the day with me..." another pause. "Though of course... she'll be with us... during... during the day... Um... Thor has the bike being fixed... um..." he trailed off not knowing what else to say so he just sat there in silence.

Week 2...

"Well, it's the first day out of the hospital... The weather has been a little bit hot lately... I think you would have enjoyed it. Going for our morning run... maybe a walk in the park..." Steve was watching Penny gnaw on a small bone while laying beside Bucky's leg on the bed. He reached out to pet her. "The doctor put me to do some physical therapy. You know... to make sure I'm healed up..." He exhaled slowly. He was silent as he messed with his hands. "He... He has kept his distance... And apologized. He wanted me to tell you that... He crossed the line for the last time and he swore it will not happen again..."

Week 3...

"It's been almost a month since the accident, Bucky... I know... it's hard to believe..." The tears were flowing already. He sniffled and wiped at his tears quietly, "It's strange to sleep alone... I miss you. So much..." his voice cracked. "The doctors said you are healing. Which is great. I just wish you would wake up..." 

"Steve..."  the voice came from behind him, Nat. "Thor's here for lunch." 

"I'll be back after lunch, Bucky..." he whispered before kissing his head gently before telling Penny to stay as he pet her head and left.

Nat took Steve's place, and gently touched her hand to Bucky's. "He really misses you... It's hard to keep him occupied. He's been going to therapy... to cope... They think it's best for him to get out more and do something than being cooped up beside you. The doctors don't think you are going anywhere for a while..." she sighed slowly. "But we aren't going to leave you entirely alone here," Nat promised.

----

Weeks started turning into months, and as Natasha had promised, Steve still came in at least once a day for an hour or so to talk to Bucky or just be with him. Every other hour, Sam, Clint, or Natasha would show up to talk to Bucky. Penny started staying with Bucky. There was no change with Bucky's condition. He just existed there, in his coma, as the world past by. 

As for Steve, he seemed to be doing better. Taking one day at a time. He was quiet and more reluctant to go out and have fun with the other Avengers, still keeping to himself like he did when he first came back into the world from being frozen. For a while, when missions would come around, Steve would stay home as his therapist deemed him not ready to handle one. That is until it was four months after the accident. Although he still had restrictions, Steve was finally getting back out in the field. 

Natasha had taken charge in Steve's leave of absence. It was too soon to let Steve take the reins again. He was suiting up as Natasha spoke to them, Sam and Clint were there. It was a small task. Go in, make sure the location was secure and rescue hostages. Steve and Clint were the ones that were going to help the hostages to the extraction point. 

Steve was just tying his boots up when Natasha sat beside him and looked to him. 

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm fine," Steve responded.

"Steve, you say that just about every time someone asks you that," Nat accused.

When Steve didn't respond Natasha placed a hand on his shoulder, instantly causing him to stop and look up to her.

"You need to sit this out?" she asked gently.

"No." he responded. "I'm alright 'Tasha... really... I'm just ready to get back to work." 

Natasha nodded some as she looked to him and gave him a warm smile. "Just talk to me, okay? Let me know if you don't think you are ready..." 

"I am ready..." Steve replied softly.

Natasha just nodded and gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze before standing. "We'll be leaving in five. Here's your com," she responded holding out her other hand. "Line seven." 

Steve nodded at this and thanked her before taking the communicator and settled it in his ear. He stood up adjusting the coms line to seven following Natasha as she turned around to head out.

On the plane ride, Steve sat alone staring off out at the clouds out the window. It was dark out so there really wasn't much else to look at. Clint had came over to sit across from him.

"Hey," Clint said calmly so he wouldn't startle Steve.

Steve broke his gaze from the window to look to Clint. "Hey..." he responded as he sat back in his seat.

"How are you feeling?" Clint tilted his head some.

Steve gave a nod. "Yeah..." he said with a soft sigh. 

Clint looked at him intently.

"Really, Clint... I'm okay."

"Nat sent me to talk to you to see if you are okay.." Clint tried softly. "She's concerned."

Steve sighed giving a nod. "I know. I'm... I'm okay." he said looking to Clint. "I'm just... Bucky.." he sighed. 

Clint patted his shoulder. "He'll be okay... he's in good hands while we are here. They know to call you as soon as he wakes..." 

Steve nods once in response as he shifted back in his seat. The two sitting in silence the rest of the way. 

---

It was late night at the hospital, the nurses went for their usual hourly round, making sure the patients were doing okay and were settled for bed or already sleeping. Once getting to Bucky's room to do their usual monitoring on him, one noticed the data was skewed a bit, not matching up as the past several months, where there hadn't been a change.

The nurse wrote down the changes, making note to come back to check in later. To make sure he was still stable. She checked his monitors and tubes. She replaced his fluids before doing a final check on his levels and patted Penny's head before leaving the room. 

Penny watched the nurse leave before her head raised, ears perked as she looked to Bucky sensing something. Her tail starting to wag slightly before her crawling up to push her head into the still hand that moved to cup against Penny's head, giving a faint rub.