Chapter 3

Steve woke up hours later and found himself alone. Natasha must have stepped out, he thought to himself as he came to his senses of alertness from being asleep and the medication he must have been given. The television was on in his room on a low volume, he noticed as he looked around. He exhaled slowly, closing his eyes again, his head bothering him due to the bright white room, maybe because of his injuries, though he was unsure. Bucky was still on his mind. Had there been a change in his condition? Was this why Natasha was out?

The door opened a bit later, he opened his eyes and raised his head. "Sam?"

Sam gave a gentle smile, "Hey, man..." He had two cups of coffee in a holder, empty holders stacked one on top of the other and a small bag of food. "I was on duty to grab something for everyone this time," he explained as he came to sit down where Natasha had been sitting.

"Where's Natasha? Has there been a change? Is Bucky o-," Steve listed off questions, his heart monitors beeping accelerated slowly as he spoke so Sam cut him off.

"Calm down Steve..." Sam said gently placing a hand on Steve's arm, Steve took a slow deep breath and slowly exhaled before Sam continued. "Clint sent Natasha home to shower and sleep. As for Bucky... he's been in the ICU since Nat and you last saw them. That's the last of what she heard and told me."

Steve exhaled shakily, deflating slightly.

"He'll be alright, Steve... He's a fighter," Sam tried to comfort him, "Just like you..."

Steve gave a weak smile at this, but it faded slowly as his gaze dropped from Sam.

"Hey... how about we get some food in you, huh?" he offered the bag and coffee. "It will help..."

Steve gave a slight nod before looking up to him. "Yeah, I'm starved," he said softly.

"Well here, lets get you sitting up," he said handing the bed control to Steve.

--

After his small dinner, Steve rested back and talked with Sam and watched whatever he had put on for a little bit. He enjoyed the company. It helped with the pain of waiting.

Steve discovered from Clint who happened to drop by that a friend of his was a nurse. Sharon Carter, who just so happened to be scheduled later to Bucky. .

"Mr. Rogers, I'll be back later as soon as my shift is over to go over his condition. From what I hear though..." She trailed off.

Steve just gave a small nod. "Something's better than nothing..." He said softly.

She smiled to him warmly. "Just focus on getting better Steve. Leave taking care of James to us."

Steve nodded slightly, smiling sheepishly. He couldn't help to worry further about Bucky. He couldn't help but taking responsibility of something that was out of his hands. What ifs and if onlys popped in his mind as he stared off. Idly listening to the small chatter around him.