Chapter 6

As Steve was wheeled to where ever his friends awaited for him, he guessed the hospitals designated visitors room, tears had returned as he absentmindedly stared off thinking about Bucky. He didn't realize he came to a stop and the nurse left him to socialize with his visitors.  He also didn't notice at first that his friends were trying to get his attention.

A hand on Steve's shoulder brought him to look up. It was Natasha. She was half kneeling in front of him and the chair.

"You saw him," she guessed softly. It wasn't really a question, but Steve gave a small nod and looked down from her. She brushed away his tears as she tried comforting him. Steve inhaled shakily and looked away from her and Sam altogether. 

She placed a hand on Steve's and gave his hand a gentle squeeze before looking back at Sam. The two shared a quiet, concerned look.

"How about we go out for a bit? Get some fresh air," Sam suggested moving to go behind Steve.

Natasha stood up giving a nod, staying beside Steve.

Sam started to push his chair, Natasha rubbing his shoulder gently.

Steve looked off miserably. He just wanted to stay with Bucky.

Sam wheeled Steve out the hospital into the nice looking courtyard. The fresh air hit Steve breaking his thoughts from Bucky.

Steve's gaze looked around at the nicely trimmed trees and bushes. He heard the sound of water running before he spotted the source, a white fountain. They passed it by as they headed towards a small table with a nice shade for the three of them.

Once the three of them were settled and sitting down, Sam and Natasha exchanged glances with each other before Natasha spoke up.

"So the nurses told us about last night..." Sam started off. 

Steve was still looking off around the quiet courtyard, not many people were out yet. It still was the middle of the morning, it wouldn't last that long, he guessed. He turned back to them before his gaze dropped back down to the table, pressing his lips together.

"You may need to stay resting for an extra week. Even if you have a super soldier healing factor," Natasha added on. It was more of a demand than a suggestion, even if this did come from the nurse.

Steve nodded some, "Yeah... I really didn't wake up to the best feeling in the world," he mumbled quietly.

The three fell silent again listening to the calming, so far, atmosphere of the hospital. 

"Hey, Thor and Tony are both trying to help fix up your bike... and we all are taking turns watching your house..." Natasha spoke up after a few minutes had passed. She took to rubbing his shoulder comfortingly. "Penny misses you both," she added softly.

Steve looked up to her, "How is she?" he asked worriedly.

Natasha gave him a knowing look. "She wants him... its her job..."

"She'll be heartbroken if he..." Sam trailed off when Natasha and Steve glanced up at him. Natasha giving him a death glare. Of course, the glare silently saying, Shut up, Sam.

Steve instantly straightened up some, now having a new objective.

"Steve?" Sam's tone was questioning.

"Take me back in... I need to speak with the doctors," Steve said.

Natasha stood before Sam could say anything and moved to take Steve back in. 

Steve rested his arms on the chair's armrests and leaned forward some in the chair, a bit on edge. Adrenaline slowly pumping through him. Even if he couldn't get out of the chair due to the pain and injuries, this was all he could manage as he was wheeled back in, Sam going to get the nurse after Natasha asking him to.

Natasha looked to Steve. "What is it?" she asked.

"Penny is mine just as she is Bucky's. We both have PTSD, him more so than me, that's why she's more attached to him than me. She needs one of us at home... or at least she needs to be allowed in. That way, she can either have me or him to look after," Steve explained.

Immediately understanding, Natasha nodded just as Sam came back with a nurse.

Steve explained the whole situation to the nurse. "Please... if I can't be discharged this soon, can you please allow her in?" 

The nurse looked at him sympathetically, "Since we'd highly recommend you to stay here in the hospital for a bit longer, you may bring her in... She is a therapeutic dog, after all."

Steve gave a relieved breath and nodded, "Thank you," he said with a small smile to her.

The nurse smiled back and gave a small nod to him, "You are welcome Captain Rogers." With that, she turned to leave them to go back to working.

Steve looked up to Sam and Natasha. 

Natasha had already turned away to make a call, Sam smiled comfortingly down to Steve, "Don't worry..." Sam murmured and gently put a hand on his shoulder.

Soon, he'll have their for legged friend to give him comfort and be able to be kept sane while he waited for his love. At least now he wouldn't be left completely alone to suffer.