4. Free Spirit

Eleven-year old Dacia was running along with the rest of the boys. She felt like she was being cheated on since the boys had already been able to transform and were a little more experienced. She kept running along with them even if she was barefooted. Panting as every step she took and sweat running down her face, her reddish hair dancing with the wind as she dashed through Hoai Forest along with the pack and the trainees. Of course, she was the only girl, but she didn't care. She wasn't going to give up since her goal was to become alpha.

-"Come on boys! Two more rounds!"- said one of the pack members in his wolf form.

-"Hey! There's a girl here, ya know!"- shouted Dacia as she kept running with all her might.

. . .

After finishing their laps, the boys were already there and she had come in last. She slowly stopped panting as she bent a little while placing her hands on her knees.

-"Dacia Lupu. You've come in last...again"- said the mentor as he made a check mark on a notebook and walked away.

Dacia frowned as she held back all her insults and slowly sat down on the ground. Of course she was last! How wouldn't she when all her colleagues were always running in wolf form and, since their abilities had developed so well, they were even faster than her even if they were humans. Dorin sat next to her and drank some water from his canteen. He handed it to her and she took it without thinking it twice and drank it all.

-"Hey! I was just offering you a little!"- Dorin scolded her.

-"That baldy thinks I can't do it. I know he just wants me to quit already...over my dead body"- murmured Dacia a bit breathless.

In comparison to her other sisters, Dacia was usually covered with scratches, dirt and patched clothing since she would always end up breaking her clothes during her training or when she ran off to some adventure of her own. Dorin had ended up lending her some of his clothes when he was smaller; so they fit her. If not, Crina would fix them to her size.

Dorin sighed as he smiled at Dacia. She returned his empty canteen and then stood up while she stretched her arms.

-"I'm going to do some self training for a while"- said Dacia as she began walking away.

-"More training?! Are you kidding me? How much stamina do you still have left?"- said Dorin surprised with how much energy Dacia still had reserved.

Dacia simply went ahead towards a tree and climbed up until she reached a branch. There she held herself tightly while the rest of her body was hanging on the air. Dorin looked at her from afar as she tried her best to lift her self up. She wanted to create resistance and strength. No one knew if she could ever turn into a wolf, but if she did, she wanted to be prepared for it. 

. . .

-"Come on boys! One more round!"- shouted the mentor ahead.

Dacia kept running with all her might as sweat drops ran down her face. This time, she was running in the middle. She wasn't going to let herself be told that it was impossible for her to become one of them. She wasn't going to accept it anyways, so she was willing to keep trying. Dorin watched her as he ran along with the others. Her efforts weren't in vain and he knew it.

As soon as they arrived back at the manor, the mentor seemed to be taken by surprise that Dacia wasn't the last one.

-"Last place"- he said as he was about to mark it on his board, but Dacia held his hand before he could write anything.

-"Last place, you say? Look at that lad over there. He's the last one arriving. Don't you put me in last place when I surpassed that kid already"- she said as she arched a brow.