Chapter One

Chapter One

"He had always been the favorite of the MacloVoys, always. Ever since he was a tot' Mista MacloVoy spoiled him rotten. To the core almost. He was still sweet as apple pie though, that's cause his mama made sho he was a gentlemen. Being the only boy of the family came with a lot of pressure. You know cause they was rich folks….they had some high  standards. Lil' Toby gon' go to school. He gon' be a doctor like his Pa or Lawyer like his Granddaddy. He gon' marry some blond-haired, blue-eyed church girl who daddy was a successful entrepreneur and her only job was to lay on er' back and pop out dem babies, which if I was hopefully still living, would be cleaning up after. His whole life was planned out, every second of every minute from the day his mama gave birth. Toby had planned on going along with his family's wishes, but….but he met her. Met her? More like fell completely head over heels in love with her. I remember it all like it way yesterday. Imagine a girl, colored of course, with light brown skin that seemed to mimic the color of caramel and a body so slim but curvy it kept all the johnnies hollerin'. And her hair, as curly and wild as she let it be but long. Her eyes a dark, mysterious brown that you got lost in every time you looked her in the eye. Her personality was as interesting as a book. She always kept you laughing or crying, full of youth. She really was beautiful and everyone knew it. Especially Lil' Toby. I remembered when she was first hired as the help. I had been working for the MacloVoys for almost 15 years, sure have since i was a youngin' at 15. Mista MacloVoy had said we needed somebody new and young to help me around the house. With me getting older all my work abilities had come up a little short and I needed an extra hand. She said her name was Dorothy-Mae Morris. She was as bubbly as a tot' but as controlled as an adult. I automatically grew an attachment to her. She was sweeter than sugar and helped with every chance she got. One day we was talking, just having a good old chat, and i had got around to asking her what a pretty girl like her was doin' sweepin floors and wiping walls in a white mans house? She told me 'I don't mind it. And being pretty don't mean you can't clean." We just laughed. It was like you couldn't help but love Dorothy. I know everyone in the house did. Well except for that nasty ol' Katie-Anne. Katie was the heiress of the MacloVoy fortune. The daughter of Mista MacloVoy's only and younger brother Jack,  Katie was an only child like Toby but she was as rotten as could be. Ever since she was playing in the sand-box Katie had a strong hatred for colored folks, she could barely stomach me. I guess she got it from that stuck-up grandaddy of hers. That man could never accept the colored as human beings and not animals. But Dorothy, Dorothy she hated. She couldn't stand the fact that she was beautiful and god-forbid that she was ever happy. It didn't help one bit that the MacloVoys adored her either. Katie would do everything in her power to make Dorothy's job as the help harder than it needed to be. She would tread mud in the parlor when she knew Dorothy was scrubin' the floor. Or she'd eat a full meal right after Dorothy finished the dishes. It was horrible, but Dorothy never strayed. She never grimaced or said a slick comment. She held a smile and always said, 'Course Miss Katie.' I bet you can only imagine how irritable that made Katie. I never quite understood why or how Dorothy kept her class with that brat.