"Yeah, it was a rough day. Anyway, I was were you are now even if I wasn't in a chair. I was looking up at the stage listening to the host with excitement as they went on and on about promises of making me a better writer and succeeding," I refrained from gagging when thinking of who the host was.

"I took their words to heart because they are what I've been hoping to hear since the day I realized I wanted to be a writer. You see, none of us are perfect. None of us are the absolute top notch best writers and even those who are spectacular have an editor. You know why? Because there is always room for improvement. Your writing now is not how it's going to be years from now. What you learn now and take with your from this convention is what's going to sculpt you into who you will be.

"So you may be asking what will this convention do for me? Well, I could give you a list of our workshops, but that's not all there is to it. Take a look around you," I had to admit it was cool when I saw heads turn back and forth under my command. "The people here that you are surrounded by are more than just attendees, they are the second type of writers. What does that mean, you may ask. Well, to me there are two different types of writers," I held up two fingers in the air. "One type of writer is someone who enjoys it. Now I know you are looking at me thinking, well I enjoy writing, and that's great! But there is more to this type so hold on."

I cleared my throat before continuing. "The first type enjoys writing like I said. They spend a couple hours in the day writing something here or there when they get the chance. They do it more as a hobby, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, but there is one major difference between the two. The second type first and foremost do not enjoy writing . . . not even in the slightest. You know why? Because the term 'enjoy' is such a minuscule term. No, the second type has to write."

I paused again when I heard some cheering in the crowd. "Yeah, you understand! The second type has to write, what does that mean? It means they do all of the things the first type of writer does but on a grander scale. There is a story, maybe multiple, trapped inside of them. These stories aren't just fictional beings either, they are a part of them. When you close your eyes, before you go to sleep, instead of imagining strolling on the beach you think of that world you created. When it is three in the morning and your body is begging you to retire your fingers keep tapping on that keyboard because you will not rest until Bobby gets to the cave. A second type finds solitude in their writing and reaches for dreams that others laugh about. Because when the second type is asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the immediate response is, "I am a writer."

The applause was outrageous now. "I am a writer, not I want to be a writer. A writer is ingrained in you. It's a disease that you don't want the cure for. It's a part of you whether you like it or not. Ten, twenty, thirty years down the road you will still be working on something because you have to. And if life throws a curve ball and you are not the next J.K. Rowling what do you do? Giving up is not an option. You write on your break, you write late at night, you write when early in the morning you write because you have to. The second type is a writer because they have no choice. And my friends . . . you are all here because you are the second type. And that is the greatest part of the convention, to be surrounded by others who understand."

So much for cutting my speech in half, I thought to myself when the crowd went wild. Now their response was giving me even more energy to power through despite my bladder's protests. I felt like a rockstar.

"I am here not just as a host, but as a person giving you tools to groom that passion inside of you. I say groom and not tame because I know a writer can never be tamed," the crowed hooped and hollered. "The tools provided to you here at the Harrington Writing Convention are those that will only make you better at the skills you already have.