Ben

"I don't get it. What is this thing even supposed to do?" I asked, examining the heart necklace dangling from around my wrist. Under closer inspection Sophia, Cassie and I had decided that the necklace was made of clay. It looked like a lot of different colored had been mashed together. Some of the colors got a little too mixed together and had turned into a greenish, brownish color. Sophia snatched it out of my hand. "That thing is going to bring her back...well, hopefully," she replied. We were sitting on the wall outside the school. It was a surprisingly warm day. "Yeah, but, how?" I asked. "Well I don't know exactly," she confessed. "Aren't you supposed to be the one who knows it all?" I asked, grinning playfully. "I'm beginning to think I'm in the dark about this whole thing," she sighed. "Are you ok?" I asked, resting a hand on her arm. "Yeah, I just feel like we're not really helping," she explained, hanging her head. "We're doing everything we can Sophia," I assured her. "I know, of course we are, we just...we just have to find a way to get her to put this on and never ever take it off," she said, holding the necklace up so the sun light hit it. "Well, until she's...you know," I replied, trying to find the right words. "Got control, I know," Sophia finished for me. "Well lucky for you, I have an idea!" came a voice out of nowhere. Sophia and I both turned out heads in the direction of the familiar sound. It was Livia. "Livia? What are you- wait! Were you eavesdropping?" I asked, narrowing my eyes accusingly. "Well, I've been eavesdropping for days. The garden, the tree trunk, right now. I've been following you guys," she explained. "Um, why?" Sophia asked. "Because I, unlike the rest of the school, am not oblivious to what's been going on!" she explained, tightening her ponytail. "Ok, at this point we're desperate. What's your idea?" I asked. "It's easy. That's a heart, she's a girl, you're a boy. You need to take her on a date and give it to her as a gift or something," Livia suggested. "A date?" I asked, surprised. "A date," said Sophia, nodding. "Who's going on a date?" asked another voice. We all turned to see Cassie. Brianna was walking right behind her. "What's a date? I think I've heard of them! Is it organic?" Brianna asked. "Seriously? I can't even right now," Cassie murmured, face palming. "Anyway, we just got back from Elita's room. We made it super pretty," Cassie said. "Yeah, it was really plain before," Brianna agreed. Cassie sat down next to Sophia, and Brianna next to Cassie. "So, who's going on this date?" asked Cassie, leaning her head in curiously. "Ben and Elita," Livia replied, smiling slyly. "I dunno you guys, she always said we were never a thing," I said uncertainly. "Oh please! We all saw you at the dance," said Cassie. She smiled and rolled her eyes. "This could actually work," said Sophia excitedly. "So it's settled, you're going on a date with Elita," Livia confirmed, winking at me. "Apparently..." I replied.

"Ugh, my hair!" I complained, staring in the mirror at the crazy black mess that sat atop my head. I was in my room, getting ready for my date with Elita. I had thrown on a red, plaid shirt, the nicest thing I had. Even though I'd gone on lots of dates before, and this one wasn't exactly a real date, I was still nervous. Livia laughed. "Here, let me help you," she offered, smoothing it down with her hands. "There, that looks better," she said, nodding. "Thanks," I replied. "You better hope she says yes to this date," Livia said. "No kidding. So how do I look?" I asked for the hundredth time. "You look great. It's weird, I always though...I always thought it would be us," she admitted. "Huh?" I asked. "It's stupid, never mind," she said, turning away. Her cheeks were bright red with embarrassment. "Livia, what is it?" I asked. She took a deep breath. "Before Elita came, it was always you and me," she explained, her voice cracking. "Livia..." I whispered. I never knew she felt that way. I mean I knew she liked me, but I thought it was just a silly crush, just like basically every other girl in this school. "It's fine Ben. You and Elita will be great," she said, smiling weakly. "You know it isn't even her half the time, right?" I asked. "Yeah. Cassie and Sophia filled me in," she replied. "So then you know that this isn't even a real date," I said. "It feels like a date. I better go, and you better go get Elita," she said, clearly ready for the conversation to end. "Yeah," I agreed.