Sophia

"When do you think she's coming back?" asked Cassie, her cheeks pink from the cold. We were standing around in front of the school, where we could talk freely about all that had happened. "Don't you mean if she's coming back?" Ben replied. You'd think that since Elita had been gone, Ben would be a little more sad. I mean, he seemed concerned for her, but not like a boyfriend kind of concern. Not that they were ever official or anything but still, he really seemed to like her before, but since she's been gone he's been eyeing other girls. "How could she not come back?" asked Cassie, brushing her long bangs out of her face. "Cassie, she was missing for three days," I reminded her. "I mean that's a little traumatizing don't you think?" I asked, sticking my freezing hands in my coat pockets. "Well yeah, but she can't remember anything," said Cassie, shrugging like it was no big deal. "Do you really believe that? That she can't remember anything? Of course she can remember everything, but how easy do you think it would be to tell them about what's going on, with the Aspens and the Hiats, and about this Abadon guy. Do you really think she would tell them?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed. "I mean, that's a good point, but what if she really can't remember?" Ben pointed out. "It's been almost a month now. She'd be back by now if she was coming back," I said. I didn't mean to be a negative nancy, but they needed to accept the fact that Elita wasn't coming back. "No. She'll come back. I know she will," said Cassie, confidently. Ms. Porter appeared behind me out of nowhere, interrupting our conversation. "Oh, hello! Happy Saturday everyone! So, Elita has come back today," she said awkwardly. "What?" I gasped, my mouth hanging open in shock. I stared at her, unable to say anything else. "Yes, her foster mother called me this morning to inform me that she would be arriving. I just checked her in, and she's heading up to her room right now," she said. "She's heading up to our room? I'll go greet her!" said Cassie excitedly. "Well, there's another thing actually. There was a slight room change," explained Ms. Porter. "What?" asked Cassie, staring at her blankly. "As you may or may not be aware, Sophia's roommate has dropped out," said Ms. Porter. "What do you mean dropped out?" asked Ben, looking confused. "A lot of the students parents have decided to enroll their children elsewhere," Ms. Porter explained, her smile fading. "What?! How many?" I asked. "Not...too many," Ms. Porter replied, looking down at her pointy-toed heals. Her blouse was wrinkled and her hair thrown into a ponytail. She looked exhausted. "Just twenty...thirty...thirty five at the most," she said, ashamed. "Are you kidding? That's a lot!" said Cassie, throwing her hands to her cheeks in surprise. "Yes, well, anyway, in light of that, since we weren't quite sure if Elita would be returning we decided to put Sophia and you, Cassie, together in a room," she said, looking to us for a reaction. We both turned to each other. Cassie spoke first. "Okay," said Cassie slowly, obviously disappointed. "But then, who's Elita's roommate?" she asked. "There are an odd number of girls so she doesn't have one," Ms. Porter replied. I could tell that all she really wanted to do was grab a cup of coffee and go back to her office. "You're making her stay alone in a room?" I blurted, the words coming out a little louder than I'd meant them to. "Well if another student joins...or drops out, she will have a roommate," she said, forcing a smile. "Wait. Did I just hear you correctly?" came a voice from behind us. We all turned to see Livia, pulling her windblown hair from her over-glossed lips. "Someone doesn't have a roommate and it isn't me?" she asked, blinking. "Oh, Livia, how wonderful to see you. And yes, you heard correctly. Elita doesn't have a roommate," said Ms. Porter with a sigh. "Elita's back?" asked Livia, biting her lip. "Yes, she's back," Ms. Porter replied. "I told you to tell me when she was back!" Livia shouted at Ms. Porter. "Well, I just found out myself and I was coming to look for you when I ran into these people. So I told them," Ms. Porter explained, glaring at Livia. Livia gave a dramatic sigh before storming off angrily. As she stomped away a figure came into view about ten yards behind where she had been standing. "Look, it's her!" said Ben, staring at the figure which turned out to be Elita. "Well, should we go talk to her?" I asked. "She looks so different," said Cassie, eyeing her hoodie and sweatpants paired with a purple, knit beanie. "Her foster mother told me she's having a really hard time. So maybe you girls should just give her a little space, it would be best," Ms. Porter suggested wearily. "Anyway, I should get going. It was good seeing you," she added, hurrying off. "Give her a little space? Yeah right," said Cassie. "Maybe she's right," I replied, sadness in my eyes. "Maybe we should give her a little space." Ben looked surprised. "What? Why? Why would we do that?" he asked, whipping his long, black hair out of his bright blue eyes. "Because she came back, after three days. A lot can happen in three days guys. Especially with the Hiats," I said, shivering at the mere thought of it. "What are you talking about?" asked Cassie, her face scrunched in confusion. "Well...what if it isn't her? The Hiats are known for their witchcraft," I explained, cringing. "So what? They put a spell on her?" Cassie asked, only half joking. "Something like that," I replied all too seriously. "You see, Elita might-" I was cut off by Elita, who was now standing behind me. "Might what?" she asked, her face expressionless. "Might not come back, but you're back!" Cassie lied, running up and giving Elita a hug. "I have missed you so much," she said, squeezing Elita like a tube of toothpaste. "I've missed you guys too," Elita replied, the slightest hint of a smile appearing on her freckly face. "We really missed you," I said, not sure what else to say. "Yeah, where have you been?" asked Ben. "Mostly my couch," she replied, looking depressed. "Anyway, I guess I should get back to my room. I'll see you guys later," she said, walking away. "I didn't think she'd be that different," Cassie admitted. "It's like she's an entirely different person," Ben replied, nodding. "That's exactly what I was afraid of," I said, my voice etched with worry. "Something happened in those three days."