Chapter 26-The Spell of Fear

***** Hey!!! Just wanted to say that you guys are amazing, thanks so much for the comments and votes!!! I'm really glad you guys like my story!! :,) haha anyways, hope you enjoy it!!!!

*****************************

I was on full alert as more blood-curdling screams pierced the air. I shivered. This forest made all my senses feel like they were on live-wire. I huffed slightly as we continued to travel at a fast pace, trying to find a good cover so we could begin planning our strategy on how we would get the scrolls we needed to.

My mind ran through it all again. We needed a heaven and an earth scroll, our team already having the heaven scroll. There were 26 teams, which meant there were 13 of each scroll. Only 13 teams could pass, and I was pretty positive a couple of teams were already out of the competition. Our chances weren't looking so bad. If we were lucky, we could ambush one of the weaker-looking teams.

I wasn't saying I didn't have any confidence in my team. But knowing me, doom seemed to follow me everywhere. It was better to play it safe. But looking around at this forest.....there was no way I could ever feel safe. It left a bad feeling squirming in my belly, the kind that made me queasy and unsure of my next move.

If I were to think of the worst circumstance, how would we even survive?

"Stop," Naruto suddenly voiced out loud, making us all turn to him in surprise as he ceased movement, his face unreadable as he faced us.

"I have to take a leak."

My eyebrow twitched. Was it necessary to make such a serious expression before that?

"Then hurry up, dobe," Sasuke hissed. Naruto growled, starting to yank down his zipper. I was immediately pissed, already walking forward to tell him that if I even saw a hint of his boxers, I would hurt him. Did he not know that he was in the presence of females?!?

But Sakura beat me to it, lunging and punching him straight on top of the head. He whined loudly, his voice making a soft, keening noise of pain. He gave Sakura a teary look.

"Go do it behind a tree, you indecent pig!" She screeched, giving him a dirty look. He nodded wearily, rubbing his head and scurrying past us to head deeper among the trees.

I sighed. I cared about my teammates, but it was impossible to say that I was certain I could keep them safe. They couldn't even get along; our teamwork was terrible.

Sasuke was giving me that same funny look again. I scowled at him fiercely. I didn't know what his problem was. Just because I didn't know who this person was, he was glaring at me like I committed a crime.

"What?" I snapped. He shrugged, eyes narrowed at me.

"Just wondering how you could forget someone you like so easily." He said, jaw clenched. My eyes widened. Person I liked? Did I say I liked this person? I felt my heart pick up pace. How could I not remember something like that?

"I don't know what you mean. I don't even know who you're talking about!" I said, desperation creeping in my voice. A voice interrupted the short-lived conversation.

"Whoo! That was a relief! I could almost write my name on the tree-" Familiar blond, spiky hair appeared around the corner, blue eyes crinkling as a grin was decorated on Naruto's face. Sakura shouted at him to shut up with the crude comments.

My eyes narrowed. I wouldn't have noticed. I don't think I really was paying attention that much, so it would have definitely passed me by. This wasn't Naruto, and I didn't say that because of the missing scar on his face from the kunai Anko gladly sent at him, or how his shuriken holster was on the wrong side of his body. I noticed that all later.