Chapter 1: I Feel A Little Hollow Inside

The screech of a Hollow resonated through the night. "Ugh..." Ichigo groaned as he stumbled out of bed," There has been more Hollows lately." Ichigo rubbed the back of his head and laughed quietly," I guess I've been slacking off lately." He grasped his Substitute Shinigami badge and transformed. Ichigo stealthily opened his bedroom window and climbed onto the roof. I'm glad I didn't wake Kon... He reached out and felt for the Hollow's reiatsu. The Hollow was in the northwest region of Karakura Town. Ichigo raced off, unaware of his aching heart.

   Ichigo ducked as the Hollow lashed out at him. It was a big, ugly brute with dark brown skin. It had a white mask adorned with sharp teeth. Other than a short snout topped with a small nose, its mask was just flat and rectangular. Its red eyes glowed through the two slots in the mask. It was bulky and muscular with a physique similar to that of a bear. It had long, white claws and bony ridges running along its spine. Its long tail was tipped with a rigid sphere that resembled a club.

   The Hollow swung its clubbed tail at Ichigo, but he reappeared on the other side of the Hollow using shunpo. Ichigo swung Zangetsu and lopped off the Hollow's arm. The Hollow screeched and stumbled around. Ichigo split the Hollow's head while it was unguarded. It soon disintegrated and Ichigo relaxed. For a moment everything was peaceful. Ichigo sat down in the grass. The night was quiet and comforting. He heaved a sigh and sheathed his Zanpakuto. After a few minutes, Ichigo felt the reiatsu of another Hollow. I wish Rukia were here...

   Rukia... Ichigo missed her more than he would like to admit. She had left about a month ago and gone back to the Soul Society. She was a little annoying at times, but I enjoyed being with her. She was the one... who changed my fate. Ichigo jumped to his feet to answer the Hollow's call. The Hollow was nearby. Ichigo used his shunpo to arrive and finish the job as soon as possible.

   He unsheathed his Zanpakuto and continued towards the Hollow. After a few minutes, the Hollow came into sight. It had a narrow mask with a dozen flat teeth protruding. It crouched down on four sturdy legs and hissed menacingly at Ichigo. Small fry. It lunged at Ichigo, but he swiftly dodged and proceeded with a counterattack. He sliced the back of the Hollow's head and watched as it disappeared.

   Ichigo sheathed Zangetsu and started toward his home. He climbed through the window and shut it behind him, careful not to make a sound. He returned to his human body and shuffled toward his bed. Before he could get in bed, he heard a familiar voice. "Ichigo!" Kon screamed as he launched himself at Ichigo," I woke up and you weren't here. I got so scared! Why would you do that to me? Nee-san would never do that-" Ichigo kicked Kon across the room .

   "Owie... Nee-san would never do that either," Kon said as he rubbed his nose. Kon got to his feet and brushed himself off. "I don't know why I'm talking to you anyways. I don't even like you. I wish," Kon began to sob," Nee-san was here. Nee-san!" Ichigo heaved a sigh and collapsed on his bed. Kon looked over at him surprised. Ichigo hasn't been acting normal lately. He has seemed so depressed. He must miss Nee-san too, Kon thought to himself.

   Ichigo found it hard to go to sleep, even after Kon had stopped crying. He just sat in bed, motionless. After an hour of restlessness, Ichigo slipped out of bed. He crept quietly out the window, again, and climbed onto the roof. He pulled himself up and sat at the edge of the roof. I am not the only one affected by Rukia's absence. I realize that now. Orihime, Sado, Ishida, Kon... They feel it too. He looked out and saw the stars stretching endlessly in the sky. Ichigo saw the town, his town. It was dim and silent. Silent.

   Since she left... It is as if the whole world has been silent. It is as if... life has lost its meaning. I never realized how much she meant to all of us...