Verstehen

Verstehen.
German. (n.) The concept of putting yourself in the shoes of others in order to see from their perspective and understand them.
x

The university library was silent as usual. It was on the third floor where most of the room use only books were more beneficial by content compared to those in the circulation section. That was the reason why he kept on visiting the third level of the library. Even he knew he couldn't borrow them, as long as it is useful, he'd turn to read books in there.

One quiet day, he entered the third level to read something about philosophy. He was getting interested with the subject after their professor in literature mentioned and discussed certain topics under the course. Even the said subject wasn't included in his course, he wanted to know something new.

Len occupied a table and read in serenity. It was unnoticed how long he has been reading but the wave of new thudding of shoes knocked him out of focus. The blond looked back to see where the sound came from. He caught a glimpse of teal strands vanishing between the shelves behind and the marching footsteps fainted. Back with reading, he huffed. The text printed on the paper felt like dancing and foggy, he's been there for who knows how many hours long, and he too, knew that he needed to take a break from reading. The book was closed and rested on the table for a minute long of silence. Its hardbound cover was still in a fine condition, pretty and glossy.

Idea or reality, which came first? Probably, that's what he understood from Plato. He snatched the rectangular book from the table then whipped around to return where he got the book. It was then he realized -- when he looked on his watch -- that he has half an hour before his next class begins, and he wasn't finished with his essay. Scampering, he immediately turned to a row of shelves with the other footsteps unheard, and -- two life forms crashed on the ground.

The books they were holding were overthrown. Len quickly glanced at his foot and saw a lady rubbing her arm as she tried getting up from lying. "I'm sorry," he pulled her up and picked her book. "I didn't notice you, I'm sorry." The girl's lips were forming a straight line as she took the book and walked away.

Len picked his own book and returned to its shelf then ran out of the room hurriedly. Meanwhile, when the lady found a perfect seat, she realized that the book she was holding was not the one she got from the psychology section. Her eyes rolled back, blaming herself for not noticing that their books were swapped. Just why on earth, she thought. Just why on earth would she bump on a person she avoided almost all her life? The boy was gone so she would manually look for another copy of her book, or find where he put the book. The book she was holding will tell her where the psychology book was.

While looking for the shelf indicated on the book's number, she scanned the pages of the philosophy book she got. It was a surprise (she knew him since middle school but he may not know her) because she knew that he wasn't a bookish person. If she wasn't mistaken, he'd like to insult people rather than to read. She grimaced when a memory was recalled. Miku was one of his victims, that's why she loathed him. Her fingers flipped through the pages until a note stuck on a page caught her attention. "Len, 01-21. Idea or reality? Which came first. Plato." That might be his bookmark, she mumbled, slowly taking a new seat. The book was settled on the table and she read what the guy left unfinished. Half an hour passed and she was disturbed by her classmate who ascended from the circulation section on the ground floor.

"Miku, have you found the book?"

She stuck a new note where she stopped, in between pages 54 and 55, saying, "Platonic love. M, 01-21." She looked around to smile at her friend and rushed to the shelf where that philosophy book belonged. "Yes, Kaito. I put it somewhere here, wait a moment."