Where Are We Now?

Start from the beginning

"When will that start?"

"Well, the book will be released the first week in December, that weekend you can start touring and end in late May or early June."

"Yeah, that's not going to be any good," Gaby said as she picked at her salad.

"Why not?" Gaby contemplated whether she should tell Derek that she was pregnant and decided that she had no choice.

"It won't be any good because I will have to be home to take care of my baby around that time." Gaby watched as all of the color drained from Derek's face.

"What?" he asked as little beads of sweat formed on his brow.

"Yeah, I'm about three months pregnant."

"Three months?" Derek said holding up three fingers.

"Yeah,"

"Is-is it mine?"

"No."

"It's not?"

"No, we stopped having sex about four months before the wedding remember," Gaby said as she shook her head as she realized what was another sign out of many that Derek was not ready to get married.

Derek let out a sigh of relief as he sat back in his seat.

"Well damn you don't have to be so happy about it," Gaby said as she tried to keep from feeling hurt.

"It's not that I wouldn't love to have a child with you, but I'm in no way ready to be a father. To me, that's the scariest thing in the world." Derek said before he gulped his water down.

"I'm not going to act like I'm not a little hurt. We haven't been separated six months yet and your pregnant by another man."

"It wasn't planned trust me," Gaby said as she nibbled on a breadstick.

"Who's the father?" Gaby just looked at Derek because she knew that he knew exactly who the father was.

"I see." Was all Derek said as he sat back in his chair. Gaby had to admit that she was a bit scared of becoming a parent but she was more excited than anything, but she wasn't too sure about Nick.

After her meeting with Derek, Gaby found herself driving to Nick's house. She sat outside his house for ten minutes before she finally decided to get out of her car. Gaby walked up the stairs and rang the doorbell as the frosty wind whipped across her face. When the door opened the door, Gaby groaned mentally.

"Hi Gaby," Giselle said smiling at her. Gaby noticed that she was dressed in Nick's Columbia sweatshirt and tube socks

"Hi Giselle, is Nick here?"

"Yeah hold on, come inside." Gaby stepped inside and closed the door behind her as Giselle went to get Nick upstairs. When Nick came down the stairs, he saw the expressionless face Gaby had and wondered what she wanted.

"Gabs?"

"I just came by to give you your key back." She lied, Gaby dug into her purse and pulled out the key with a rhinestone G attached to it. Gaby held out the key for Nick to take.

"Gaby you don't have to do that. I didn't mean what I said-"

"-yes you did and your right. If I was such a great friend I would have called you no matter how confused and upset I was. It's time we go our separate ways, give the key to Giselle."

"Gaby it's not like that with us."

"Just take the key Nick." Nick took the key from Gaby with a frown as Gaby fought to keep her tears at bay.