Chapter 8 - The Start Of Something - Part One

The picture is how I imagine Jason, just with slightly blonder hair.

The song is something I found on google and the recording is how I imagine Bea's grandmother sounding.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the votes and comments they make my day :)

I apologise for any spelling or grammar mistakes and hope you enjoy.

ElfinRose x

~Topher POV~

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so grateful for breakfast and a pair of socks before. It broke my heart to see her cry. I'm not sure how she's done it, but she's managed to get us all wrapped around her little finger - and she doesn't even realise it.

The moment I saw her trying to be brave, to protect my team like some tiny lion, even though her hands were shaking and her voice came out soft and scared, I knew she was meant to be with us. While she was off looking after Ben Jasper brought us up to speed with what our target, who I learned, was Bea's stepfather, had been doing in his spare time.

I don't think I'll ever get those images out of my head - none of us will. Pictures of Bea, curled up on the floor, covered in scars, burns, bruises - you name it, it was there. The most haunting thing was the look in her eyes though - desperate, wounded, and in some of the more recent ones - resignation. It was as if she'd given up hope, or it had been beaten out of her.

None of us ever wanted to see that look again. I marvelled again at her strength of character - I know she would probably disagree with me, but for her to remain so sweet and caring after everything that's happened to her? That to me is real strength. I'd wager she's stronger, mentally, than any one of us - than all of us put together,yet she's gentle enough to befriend woodland creatures.

She's a mystery, why did her mother and stepfather have her taken out of school? She had tests done when she was still a child, signed for by her grandmother, that showed exceptional intelligence. If they wanted her away from the world why not send her to boarding school or something? Why hold her hostage? Why treat her as a servant?

It must have something to with what Henry had told me. The Academy had hit some snags trying to find documentation for her. All they discovered were her school records and what appeared to be a forged birth certificate. It listed her mother's name as Clare Elizabeth Hanlon, there was no father listed, it also appeared to be dated eight months after her actual date of birth. Why did her mother wait so long to register the birth? We were at a dead end on that until we could dig up something more substantial than a piece of paper nearly two decades old.

Her stepfather was our most pressing concern right now. We had to make sure she was safe, the cameras and microphones we'd installed were a start. We'd have to be on high alert until she turned eighteen. Once that happened she could leave here, and her parents couldn't do anything to stop her. She would be an adult, and able to do whatever she wanted. Just four more months and she would be free. I knew Jasper was already looking at houses for her - at the moment he was torn between a penthouse style apartment over-looking the river and an old thatch cottage in the village near the woods we visited today. Personally I thought the cottage was more her style but I understood his desire to give her everything.

I could see her in that cottage, cooking, drawing, reading books while curled up in her chair - the glow from the lamp beside her catching the red in her hair and setting it aflame. I pictured that little place as a safe-haven for not just Bea, but for all of us. A place to escape to if we needed it.We all needed that house - I would have to ask Jasper to put a rush on the purchase. It would make a rather spectacular birthday present.