Chapter 6 - Out - Part 3

^^^Murphy^^^

"I hope they haven't been waiting long." I said as we pulled into a small gravel covered car park. Other than the boy's cars there were only two others which hopefully meant we would have a nice peaceful walk. The boys were huddled around one of the cars talking to each other. Jason was the first to acknowledge our arrival but I'm sure Henry saw us first – something told me that Henry never missed a single thing.

"Ooh digging the new boots Bea, you look like an elf or something" Jason grinned at me then elbowed Henry in the ribs "Don't you think she looks like an elf? A really cute little elf?" Jason gave him an evil grin and continued nudging him in the side. I could feel my face turning red, and I tried to cover my cheeks with my hands, the heat coming off them probably could have fried eggs. I looked at Henry, shocked to find two smudges of pink high on his cheeks – he was embarrassed! He cleared his throat and looked at me, hazel eyes travelling from my new boots to the top of my head slowly and I felt the butterflies start to do their merry jig again.

"So it would appear." He said quietly before turning away.

Wait, did that mean he liked the boots? Or did he mean that I looked like an elf? Or... Oh my goodness! Did Henry just say I looked cute?! My brain felt like it was about to self-destruct when Liam grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards the paths

"Come on sweet pea. Let's get going before the Doc can cause any more chaos."

The others fell in behind us and I could hear them talking quietly amongst themselves. I looked around me – the forest was beautiful, weak rays of sunshine filtered through the canopy of leaves creating beautiful patterns that had me itching to draw them. A carpet of pine-needles and other leaves muffled our footsteps and I took a few deep breaths enjoying the clean air filling my lungs. I turned to Liam, who was watching me apprehensively.

"You alright hun?" I nodded enthusiastically.

"It's beautiful here, thank you for suggesting it." I said softly giving his hand a little squeeze.

"Anytime Bea" he turned his head to look at me with serious eyes "I mean it. Any time you want to escape from that house let me know and we'll come here." I wondered, again, what it was that made him so serious, the look in his eyes made me want to fix whatever happened that made him seem so sad. I sent him a small smile then focussed again on the lush greenery around us. Twitching leaves caught my attention high up in an oak tree a squirrel poked its head out from behind the trunk. I fought the urge to jump and clap my hands like a child. Instead I moved slowly towards the base of the tree holding out a hand and making quiet coaxing noises. The squirrel tilted its head, as though considering how big a threat I was to him – I must have passed the test because it came scampering down towards me. I crouched down, still holding out a hand as though I was offering him food. The squirrel smelled my hand then climbed up my arm to perch on my shoulder as though it was a branch. I could feel its tiny paws curled in my hair for support. I smiled, elated and rose slowly to face the boys, all of whom were staring at me.

"Oh my God, she's fucking Snow White!" Murphy whispered incredulously. I grinned at them and looked at the backpack Topher was carrying.

"Topher, are there any nuts or dried fruit in there?" He nodded slowly and extracted a small packet of raw nuts and raisins, he ripped the corner off and tipped some into my outstretched palm. I picked up a hazelnut and held it up, a quick little paw grabbed it and I watched as he stuffed it in his mouth.

"Good boy Pippin" I murmured as I handed him another morsel – a raisin this time.

"Pippin? You've called the squirrel Pippin? You know that's the name of a..." Topher didn't get to finish his sentence "A hobbit yes I know" He grinned at me "You like Tolkien?" he asked. I nodded smiling at him "And Carroll and Lewis and anyone else I can get my hands on." I replied.