Chapter 29- Stay close to me (Part 2)

Author's note: I dedicate this chapter to Booksquim for saying it would be an honour to be first to comment on any of my chapters. Thank you! And thanks for commenting before you read just so you can be first! On a more serious note, when i originally posted this story, i had a couple of readers tell me that they couldn't continue reading this chapter because its contents hit 'too close to home'. While i sincerely hope that none of you have experienced the grief and pain that this chapter entails, if you need to take a break or you cannot read it, i completely understand. In which case, when things become better in your life, feel free to return to this chapter- it will always be here :) I know a lot of you probably feel betrayed as i have always said that Severus would live happily (which he has) and that the story will have a happy ending. But the only way i felt i could end 'it is our choices' is if Severus died (i'm so sorry he's to die this way though). All i can hope is that you'll forgive me and you have some tissues handy...

Chapter 29- 'Stay close to me' (Part 2)

After four hours of anxious waiting, Scorpius finally gave the Potters permission to visit Severus in his room. The man had just woken up from a rest and his pain was minimal. Upon seeing the looks on their faces, Severus said: 

"I am really sorry." 

"Do you remember what you said?" Albus asked. 

"Yes, and I remember the Boggart as well." 

"Oh, Sev, you know we would never think that way, don't you?" Lily asked. 

"I know." 

"And we will all keep our promises," James reassured him. "We won't betray you." 

"I know," Severus said quietly, nodding. 

There was a pause. 

"See how hard this is going to be?" Severus implored. "At the moment, whilst I still have my memory I will remember the things I have done and I will be able to say that I am sorry, but there will come a time when I won't remember, when I cannot speak and the five of you are going to have to be there for each other. It will not be easy for you," Severus said, looking at each of them eagerly, as if determining whether someone was going to back down from the responsibility they were all putting on themselves. 

"We know it will be difficult, Severus, but you know we will not have it any other way," Harry answered, looking seriously into Severus' eyes. 

"This may be selfish, but I take back what I told Lily a few months ago; if you can bring yourself to do it, if you can be strong enough, I want all of you to be with me, whenever you can of course," Severus added realising that everyone surrounding him had responsibilities and jobs to attend to. 

Harry was smiling, in spite of everything that had happened in the last few hours, he said: "We'll be here until the very end, Severus. No matter what you say or what you do, you cannot get rid of us that easily."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

3 years later 

As the years went on, the Potters kept their promise to Severus and never thought twice about turning back. As difficult as it was for them to watch Severus slowly lose his ability to argue, reason and even form cohesive sentences, never once did they consider leaving his side. Occasionally, Hermione and Ron would visit Severus too, having helped him through his first day at St. Mungos, they also felt the personal need to see him, if only for an hour or so. 

The three years went surprisingly fast for everyone, it seemed it was only yesterday that Severus was diagnosed with the illness and yet it had been three years of suffering, three years of pain.