Chapter 11: The Moonlight Motel

Start from the beginning

"...No one..."

Aziz took a step towards Joseph. "Are you really so certain about that, human?"

Joseph didn't answer, seemingly paralyzed by the demon's approach.

Aziz continued. "The Company put me in charge of you." He was no more than a foot away from the bed.

Something finally clicked about the unpredictable nature of the demon and Joseph began to scoot back on the bed. The fact that Aziz was moving slowly, in a nonchalant way, made everything more terrifying than if he'd been moving fast and pissed off.

"The Company doesn't control me... They have no right to!" Joseph said, almost desperately.

Aziz cocked his head to the side then began to laugh. "You stupid human. Do you not realize that this has nothing to do with politics or your 'free nation'? This is all nature..." Aziz suddenly grabbed Joseph's foot, pulling him off the bed and onto the ground.

Joseph groaned, the hard floor having bruised something. Aziz leaned down to the linguist, his face mere inches away, and whispered. "...And you just so happen to be at the bottom of the food chain."

Joseph rolled over onto his back. Aziz straightened up, smiling an innocent smile. "I wish you would just get it through your thick skull that you're weak."

Joseph glared up at the afrit but said nothing. Joseph hated to admit it, but he was weak.

"Now." Said Aziz. "Get up. We have a visitor."

Joseph frowned, but did as he was told. Just as he was brushing himself off, there was a knock at the door. Aziz motioned for Joseph to stay where he was, near the bed, while the demon went and unlocked the door.

The door swung open, giving Joseph a glimpse of the man who had checked them in earlier. He was balancing two plate of food on one arm, liter of soda in the other. Just smelling the food made Joseph's stomach grumble.

When was the last time I ate? Oh cholernie. That chocolate bar the night before. No wonder I'm so tired.

The man was now talking to Aziz, a smile plastered on his worn face. "...And this is your meal. We provide two per day, breakfast and dinner. If you need anything else, just dial 2 on the phone and I'll be more than happy to assist you."

Aziz nodded, taking the meals and soda, balancing them with ease. The man turned to leave. Aziz kicked the door shut behind him, quickly dead-bolting the locks.

"Here. Come eat this."

Joseph sat down at the small table, grabbing a plate of what seemed to be steaming hot Mexican food.

"God I'm starving!"

Aziz eyed Joseph as he began eating, shoveling the food into his mouth. Joseph looked up at the demon then stopped. "Why aren't you eating?"

Aziz smirked, leaning against the wall. "I already ate."

"I've been around you for the last day and a half. You haven't eaten anything." Joseph said accusingly. How can someone be so built yet not eat? It wasn't fair.

Aziz said. "You see, demons don't have to eat as often as humans do. But when we do eat..." Aziz gave Joseph a hearty grin, then leaned closer to him, close enough to raise the hair on the back of the linguist's neck. "...I eat souls." Aziz then gave Joseph's ear a light tug with his teeth, making the linguist jump out of his seat. "F-fuck! Don't freaking touch me!"

Aziz just smiled, sitting down, backwards, in the chair opposite to Joseph's. "What. Did you think I was kidding when I said that you humans were at the bottom of the food chain?" Aziz chuckled. "Come finish your food. It's getting cold."