3. Operation Free the Mockingjay

Start from the beginning

            “Of course, with my life.”

            “Then climb. I won’t let you fall.”

            Somehow I knew Gale was making that a promise. What the hell. It’s worth a shot, right?

Gulping, I stood right at the trunk of the tree. Gale bent down, cupping his hands for me. With one foot in his hands, I hopped, and then pushed for a jump. Gale helped my other foot. I immediately grabbed hold of the nearest branch. I flinched as the bark dug into my fingers and palm. I gritted my teeth. It’s either stay safe in a tree or risk being eaten down below.

            Gale kept my feet steady until I carefully secured them onto the tree. I took baby steps, taking the whole climbing thing slowly. My heart thudded from anxiety.

Slowly, I heaved myself up higher, trying my hardest not to lose focus and look down. That was the last thing I wanted. If I fell, I’d land on Gale, and then we’d both go falling down. I would be cushioned, he wouldn’t be so lucky.

            I ended up climbing twenty feet before I decided enough was enough for me. Thankfully the branch I picked was big enough to fit—and hold—two people. Around us were other branches, so there was some comfort in knowing there were branches to grab should anything happen.

            While I was catching my breath, I looked out in front of me. Beyond the district fence was the other side of 12, my home. The only thing that made the view enjoyable was the blue skies and the puffy clouds. However, just because the sky looked that way didn’t mean it was a good day. It wasn’t for Katniss, and it wasn’t so far for Gale and me.

            If the view was as good as it was now, maybe hanging about in a tree waiting for the fence to shut off wouldn’t be such a bad thing after all.

*      *      *

My butt ached from sitting on the branch for hours. Even shifting didn’t lessen the pain any. It was continuously throbbing, like the pounding someone got when a headache came around.

My back wasn’t fairing any better, nor was my state of mind. My back ached as it rested against the rough bark, and my brain was slowly spiraling into insanity. I needed to get back home. I didn’t want to be out in the wilderness any longer, I wanted to be back in safety.

            Night fell over District 12. There were few lights still on in houses; I could see that far from the tree Gale and I were perched in. The night also brought whipping winds, and they weren’t hovercraft made, that was Mother Nature herself doing that job.

The clothes I was in weren’t quite equipped for windy weather. The branch Gale and I sat on with Katniss’s bow and arrows shook. I wasn’t sure if it was from us—or me—shivering or if it was from the wind.

            When my teeth began to chatter, Gale and I huddled for warmth. I tried to block out the wind from my face by burrowing it into him. The rest of my body could take the wind but not my face. I didn’t want to risk frostbite to it.

            “W-what time is it?” I groaned.

            “I have no idea,” Gale said. Oh, sure, he sounded perfectly fine while I sounded cold.

            “T-that fence better turn of s-s-soon.” I released a violent shudder. “I don’t think I can wait until m-morning.”

            “We’ll be fine. We can hold out.”